• Advertisement

Turbo Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 1994 diesel

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Turbo Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 1994 diesel

Postby coolcars » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:16 am

Kia Ora,

I have a Izuzu Bighorn 3.1 diesel 1994 we replaced the Turbo and it was cooked, we gotten a good used Turbo put it in
and when driving the Bighorn for the first time, the Turbo sounded like a 747, I thought it was normal since I could remember
that the old Turbo always sounded like that from the time I bouhght the Truck. :?
Now we drove the Truck from Hamilton to Whakatane and the next morning the Truck had no power and driving it somked
white and we couldn't hear the Turbo no more. Turning around the corner it made a scretching sound as if something had come lose but it hadn't. So we rang the guy up in Tauranga where we bought the Turbo from (consumer protection Act ) and he said to take
the piep out from the exhaust, so we did that cost us another $ 50,- and the Truck still does the same. Now we went to a engiene place, figure that and they said it could be the Pistons (now that is crazy). Lucky we where AA members and they took the Truck and us back home to Hamilton. Now I really would love to hear from someone who has experience and Knowledge with this problem. I do believe that we gotten a fauly Turbo and that is our problem.

Thanks you for all your help. :roll:
coolcars
I'm only here for the information

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: Izuzu Bighorn Fieldstar 3.1 diesel 1994

Re: Turbo Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 1994 diesel

Postby Blondini » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:25 pm

You have a faulty turbo. When a turbo sounds like that it is a ticking time boom.
Try again with another turbo.
Blondini
Isuzu Senior

City: Papamoa Tauranga
Vehicle: 93 ISUZU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL AND HANKOOK RT03 265/75/16 (32") MUD TYRES.

Postby duceandahalf25 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Coolcars, buy a new one, I had same problem with my 3.1 Turbo, finaly got one from the UK, sloved the problem. Just hope you didn't hurt the engine.
duceandahalf25
Isuzu Baby

City: Flagler Beach
Vehicle: Stock 1995 Isuzu Big Horn 3.1 Turbo Diesel.
1986 Petro Isuzu Trooper
Duce And A Half Military Transport truck, 6 Cylinder White M-Fuel Diesel 6750 miles.

Postby coolcars » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Great guy's that what I said, but the guy who sold us the Turbo said because you can spinn it still with your finger it can't be faulty, bullshit eh...
coolcars
I'm only here for the information

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: Izuzu Bighorn Fieldstar 3.1 diesel 1994

Postby geeves » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:32 pm

maybe
The simplest test would be to spin it and check for play in the shaft and most faulty turbos would fail one of these tests but not always. Loud screeching noises are bad but could also be belts. Smoke could be due to turbo but also rings,valves or a blockage. A boost guage should give more info on whats happening
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust