• Advertisement

Whats this hole do :D

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Whats this hole do :D

Postby bnsil80 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:14 pm

IMG00221-20110318-1947.jpg

Ok, have a look at the above pic. This image is of the oil filter attachment with the filter off. What is the purpose of this hole? My understanding is it could be a pressure release for the oil filter.... if the pressure builds up to much in the filter, its routed back through here.

Need some expert knowledge because I may have sorted out out oil filter/dump pipe issues.

Cheers,
Roshan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bnsil80
Isuzu Baby

City: Vic
Vehicle: 1988 Bighorn

Re: Whats this hole do :D

Postby superturbocompound » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 pm

....as far as in i know ,on the aluminium housing attach to the engine block(4 M8 bolts) where the water cooler system of the oil,there are 2 rather large bolts,size 22 or 24,both od these are pressure relief valves for regulating the oil pressure and by passing a clogged oil filter,the oil you mention...dono
superturbocompound
Isuzu Baby

City: kota kinabalu
Vehicle: Isuzu rodeo

Postby bnsil80 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm

yeh understand what you mean about the pressure valves.

i assume this could be a bypass for a blocked filter mmmm not sure
bnsil80
Isuzu Baby

City: Vic
Vehicle: 1988 Bighorn

Postby haven » Wed May 04, 2011 9:59 pm

it is a form of breathing access/ if you pull that shaft out (its simply threaded and glued into place)
youll see it runs the length of the shaft and becomes a tiny little hole that mates up to a small hole in the filter block housing. however as this is still all part of one direction of oil flow and would quickly become blocked with thick or dirty oil its purpose cannot be described as vital. i suspect it is a form of bubbler for oil to allow air pockets etc to escape. the pressure relief failsafe is the larger of the two bolt heads you see threaded into the side of the filter block. the large bolt if you take it out, has a built in spring tensioned banjo hole which will crack of oil pressure if the pressure gets to high and pushes on the spring in the delivery side of the filter block. (unfiltered oil)

that thing (the shaft your pointing at) is the shaft i mentioned in a previous thread that can be cut down and the thread extended and a replacement relocator/oil cooler kit simply bolts onto...
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby haven » Wed May 04, 2011 10:24 pm

refer my new thread for more info on filter block....
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Return to Engines and Exhaust