• Advertisement

new to mu

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

new to mu

Postby panie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 pm

hi i am relatively new to owning a mu about 8 months now and am stoked with it even though all my mates think its crap because its an import i have since towed my mates 4 runner out of 3 holes and overtake him every time we get to a hill. now looking into juicin it up a touch. looking at a 2.5 s/s exhaust from back of turbo, interested in a intercooler? if its worth the outlay and possibly the calmini 3 inch lift kit but a little sus if the shocks in the kit are worth it. also where are people finding bullbars from? ahh so many things so little time oh an cash. whats the best order for modding my mu?????? just wanna teach some lux's a sound lesson
panie
Isuzu Baby

City: armidale nsw
Vehicle: 1990 isuzu mu

Re: new to mu

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Forget the calmini suspension. The upper A arm in the kit is good but you can get the same effect with a ball joint flip at no cost. The springs are no better than localy made ones at half the cost. Shocks are equal to ranchos similar cost. I wouldnt bother with stainless for the exhaust. Diesels dont eat exhausts like petrol engines but 2.5 inch and intercooler well worth doing
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby blowout » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 pm

You should buy the Calmini Upper Arms for the front suspension definately. I ran on wound up torsion bars and ball joint flip on standard arms and i chewed through top and bottom ball joints like no tomorrow, this is due to the angle imposed on them. Also when the suspension compresses the top arm pushes the top of the wheel out exerting huge strain on the ball joint bolts increasing risk of breakages. After I swapped for the Calimini upper arms handling increased dramatically and so did the ride comfort. Plus the ball joints are back to the standard angle and minimal strain is exerted. All-in-all, Calmini Front Arms are the way to go. And for the rear just get lifted TF rodeo springs (non-heavy duty) and a set of Snake Racing Shackles and you are on your way to a very capable truck. Hope this helps.
Blowout
ImageImage
blowout
Isuzu Baby

City: Blue Mountains
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU - 2.8LTD - 4" Suspension Lift - 2.5" Bodylift - 35" Goodyear Wrangler MTR's - 15PSI Boost - Fueled - Flares - Twin Lockers - Custom Rear Bar - Custom BullBar - 4x Narva Spotties - Custom Snorkel - Custom Sound System + More...

Postby kingman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:08 am

Those Calmini Shocks front shocks are not up to what i had imagine either...they were to soft...the Ranchos are much better expecially the Ranchos 9000X fully adjustable 9way
kingman
Isuzu Baby

City: st michael
Vehicle: Isuzu tfs rodeo

Postby Demonic » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:15 am

new to Mus or new to 4x4ing in general?,
I would ahve suggested 1.5in to 2in Lift, with 32/33in tyres, from what i have seen it would get you most places. both can be done on the cheap by adding shackles at the rear and winding the torsion bars. So thats basicly at no cost, try that for a start and then if you want the extra inch then you can buy parts and make it so.

I reckon the first thing you should buy is a good set of tyres...thats were id start modding.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby supamu » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:40 am

Demonic wrote:new to Mus or new to 4x4ing in general?,
I would ahve suggested 1.5in to 2in Lift, with 32/33in tyres, from what i have seen it would get you most places. both can be done on the cheap by adding shackles at the rear and winding the torsion bars. So thats basicly at no cost, try that for a start and then if you want the extra inch then you can buy parts and make it so.

I reckon the first thing you should buy is a good set of tyres...thats were id start modding.

I totally agree. Going up from 31" to say 33" will make a huge difference to how far you can go offroad, lifts everything. If you are driving alot of bogs and mud get a good mud tire with wide apart lugs so it will spin clear the tread. Snorkel would have to be up there somewhere in priorities to.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

City: Manawatu
Vehicle: Isuzu MU with a few mods ;-)

Postby Pissy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Just a quick note for QLDers is that extended shackles are illegal,...not that I have heard anyone being done for it,...but should we have a crash, your insurance may not be valid.
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby LittleBuddha » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Any word on the bullbar? I have registered under the username of Little Buddha but the site won't let me log in.

Thanks.
LittleBuddha
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1992 MU, 3" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 2.8 diesel

Postby LittleBuddha » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:18 pm

OK so I am obviously logged in now, even though it kept telling me I had a wrong username. Great site. Tahnks again.
LittleBuddha
Isuzu Baby

Postby pig75 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 am

Bull bar of a rodeo of the same year will fit
I had a 2" body lift 33"tyres front locker and terra low gears when this video was taken. It goes most places :mrgreen:
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby Pissy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:49 am

1+ to what pig said, rodeo ball bar, it's what I have, no idea what model or year but it came of rodeo.

Cheers
Last edited by Pissy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby Fly3r » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:12 pm

Welcome to the Mu world

Personally i would go lift first then get tyres to match, and mods from there you can get anything in any order.
I got a few photos of my mods in order:
Stock
3in calmini liftg kit
33x12.5x15
2in body lift
Bull Bar
Intercooler
Snorkel, front locker, 35in tryes, cut guards

Hope it helps, there are plenty of way to mod out your Mu.
Three things a Co-pilot should say to a Captain:
1. Great landing
2. First round is on me
3. I'll take the ugly one.
Fly3r
Isuzu Junior

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 1994 3.1 T/D

Postby jezza » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Fly3r wrote:Image

Now that is a cool photo 8-) 8-)
jezza
Isuzu Junior

City: Chch
Vehicle: 94 Mu

Postby kingman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Niceeee..How does the Calmini Shocks feel??
kingman
Isuzu Baby

Postby Fly3r » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:03 pm

the shocks arn't that crash hot, but they did the job. after a year and a bit they are shot now.
1. Great landing
2. First round is on me
Fly3r
Isuzu Junior

Postby kingman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:23 am

Those Photos are Great..Your MU Looks Wicked!!
kingman
Isuzu Baby

Postby LittleBuddha » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for the bull bar tip. I noticed you ditched your side steps Jezza, mine has none and the missus hates jumping up into it. Did you find they reduced clearance? Side stpes saved me as lot of panel damage on my last truck, especially with a side bar running up to the bull bar.

I won't put it all in this forum but I followed up with China 4x4 after seeing some potential for cheap parts on this site..they are damn cheap, and the freight is very reasonable so the catch is the number of itmes you have to buy...like 5 snorkels at a time. I reckon there's have to be 5 people wanting a snorkel at $75 a hit (plus freight)
LittleBuddha
Isuzu Baby

Postby LittleBuddha » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Sorry, I wanted ask about your intercooler too Jezza. I have a little top dwon version like your, came with the truck but not fitted have you found it worthwhile? I have a 5 inch lift so freeing up the donk to suck a bit more power is next on the list
LittleBuddha
Isuzu Baby

Postby Fly3r » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:18 am

My side steps were weak. so they needed to go, they also got caught up on alot of things. those ones in particular would have samed much damage to flimsy.

plan on creating rock slider instead and connecting them up with the bully,

The intercooler, i didn't notice to much, its definitly not doing any harm. that mod came with a few others at the same time so it was a bit hard to diferenciate between them, but every bit of extra pwr helps
1. Great landing
2. First round is on me
Fly3r
Isuzu Junior

Postby LittleBuddha » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:39 pm

thanks mate, I have the bits and pieces so no real cost involved so I reckon I'll do the intercooler. Bloody handy to have this forum...beats going to most dealers and hearing "MU...nah, nothing for those..." Cheers again, very helpful.
LittleBuddha
Isuzu Baby

Next

Return to Engines and Exhaust