• Advertisement

isuzu mu Oil and low Oil pressure at idle

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: isuzu mu Oil and low Oil pressure at idle

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:45 pm

There is one large o ring in the base of the filter which clamps onto the oil cooler There is normaly a seal permanantly in the filter which goes onto the center tube of the cooler This might be an o ring in the genuine filter
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm

the genuine filter has always come with them, holden has never told me why and our parts guys dont know either i bin lots and lots of them daily if anyone wants more of them, i have never found where they go they are too small for anything
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby OdinT » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 pm

sweet as when i take the whole thing off i will have a look at it could be why i have low oil pressure one mite have broken last time i changed the filter and is now not sealing like it should
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

City: Reporoa
Vehicle: 2000 S8 Rx7, 1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8td

Postby isuzurob » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 am

i have had lots of oil coolers off and they dont go in there anywhere, the oil pump should pump far more oil than is needed til the relief valve opens even with blown oil seals in the turbo of my old hilux i had 60psi and go through 8l oil in about 3 minutes
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:25 am

OdinT wrote:cheers for the reply what is a good oil filter that is sure to be good and if i take the whole filter housing off and clean it in some petrol will this be alright will the petrol not be too harsh on the parts or rubber bits

The rubber seal that goes between the oil cooler and housing is vary sensitive to petrol i had one off a 4jb1-t cleaned it with petrol and it expanded in size and was far to big for the cooler i had to use one of a spare cooler i had
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Postby OdinT » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm

hey all
just an update i have had the oil filter housing off and cleaned it and put it back on i have topped it up with some oil and going to take it for a test drive tomorrow to see if its helped fingers crossed
and found where the o rings go and fitted them as they had not been dun in a long time the old ones were hard and flat
thanks all for the help
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

Postby OdinT » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 pm

well its still got low oil pressure when it warms up and the oil is 20w60 but at 3k rpm it sits at 30 psi instead of 15 or 20 psi
so i guess its the oil pump so that sucks
cheers for the info guys
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Im wondering if there is a guage fault. Go down your favourite parts store and buy a cheap mechanical guage and fit it (its temporary so dont bother too much about making neat. I would mount under the bonnet.)
See what that says
If the engine was realy that low on pressure other things would be showing up by now.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby OdinT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm

how to hook up a mechanical gauge i have an aftermarket one that on there but its just got 3 wires come off it
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:51 am

The sensor you fitted with the current aftermarket guage comes back out and is replaced with the probe on the end of the long copper pipe onthe mechanical guage.

I trust you did change the sensor when you changed from factory to aftermarket guage. The sensors could be very different to each other resulting in incorrect readings
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby OdinT » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm

i did not change the gauge over a mechanic did but i do know there is a new sender unit on the passenger side of the block that is for the oil gauge well so i assume
and the gauge just has 3 wires coming from it so i would guess one is signal and the other 2 are + and - the gauge is only like 6 months old
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

Re: isuzu mu low Oil pressure getting rebuilt

Postby OdinT » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm

hey i have been thinking about this for a while and think that getting the engine rebuilt is a good idea but how far should i go or things i should ask to get dun to help with reliably or performance of the engine
also does anyone have anything to say good or bad and about a guy on trademe that rebuilds engines his name is Graeme Benjamin hes from the Tauranga area here is a link to his page http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =417607720
or if there is any other guys around the BoP area to do this
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:35 pm

if your going to rebuild it save the money till something happens to it, mine had bad oil pressure for 2 years as i said and still going fine, if your going to rebuild it do everything no point doing it half arsed will cost you more in the end, that guy is good i got a 1kz toyota head off him, has a well setup shop but you will pay around 4k for a rebuild
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby OdinT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 am

ill be using it for work soon dont wanna have to worry if i will get to work or not that y i wanna get it dun and yea ill be getting the whole thing dun he sed about 3100 to get it rebuilt but thats not including getting the engine pulled and put back in
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 pm

I would still be double checking that guage. Unless you only buy VDO gauges (at the cost of a car each) you cant be 100% sure of them. If you are like me and only but trademe specials then you have to expect them to be untrustworthy.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 pm

3100 will be bare long block im guessing with no warranty of the engine unless the injectors and injector pump, and turbo are rebuilt and set to factory?? just be carefull, and what are they replacing in the rebuild? mine cost around $1500 and i do all machining and labour, VDO gauges are very good and if you shop around can be cheap(im running them in my diesel jetboat im building) i run auto meter gauges in my trucks very good for the money
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby OdinT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:02 pm

here is what he emaild me about the job
Hi Odin,
Thanks for your enquiry to rebuild your Isuzu Mu 4JB1T engine.
I have two prices for you, the first I would recommend would include.
Labour:
Stripping and cleaning Remove and fit oversize liners
Grind Crankshaft Surface head, block and manifold
Reface valves & seats Check all clearances and the oil pump
Assemble engine.
Parts:
Pistons and rings Oversize outside liners
Undersize bearings Head bolt kit
Full gasket set Fost plugs
Timing belt Thermostat
Oil filter

$3,100.00 including GST
there was a second option that cost a bit less but i think if i get it dun i would get the lot dun
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:26 pm

that sounds ok, just ask about waterpump, timing belt idler+tensioner, they only small things but add up, check all water hoses when you get it out and get radiator cleaned, also ask about the warranty, i got a ej25-t build lasted 1 race and blew up builders blamed the tune lost out 8k, thats why i do my own now, good luck with it, if you had some tools its not hard to build the engine
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby muzila » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I glad to hear you say that isuzurob.....

I getting all the bits I need to rebuild my spare 2.8 for my Mu. Going to do all the good mods to this motor before it goes in. IE intercooler, Oil filter remote (if I can find one) 2.5 inch dump pipe (if I can find one) and exhaust. along with a few other bits.

Don't be suprised if you get a few questions thrown at ya lol...
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby OdinT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:50 pm

sweet ill talk to the guy about it and get it added on
muzila if u find a kit to relocate the oil filter let me know i wanna get this dun as well.
OdinT
Isuzu Baby

PreviousNext

Return to Engines and Exhaust