• Advertisement

Turbo and Injectors

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Turbo and Injectors

Postby Shimmertron » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 am

Hi There! I just picked up a troubled 1993 3.1 diesel Bighorn (168,000kms). The previous owner took it to a garage and the mechanic there said it was the bottom end but I had my doubts. So I bought it for pretty cheap (it is still running with great plumes of smoke). I discovered a messed up turbo- it still turns - but is gone I'm thinking (see picture).

It also, I think, has injector knocking (really loud on acceleration) - but could this also be turbo related?

By the way - if I am sounding funny it is because I am from Canada and we talk strange here. And as these vehicles weren't sold in Canada I am having some problem finding parts (maybe someone has a recommendation?)

Should I be do a compression test or checking anything else before investing in a turbo and injectors? I'll replace the fuel filter, oil and filter. Anything else?

Cheers,
Gerald
Fanny Bay B.C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shimmertron
I'm only here for the information

City: Fanny Bay
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 diesel

Re: Turbo and Injectors

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm

is there a lot of play in the turbo spindle? either side to side or end to end? Injectors dont knock but a knock on acceleration could be timing advanced piston slap worn bearings or gudgeon pins or a loose front crank bolt. Have to agree that turbo looks a little suspect.
Does the smoke smell of oil or diesel?
If all else fails a chevy 4.3 v6 goes well in these
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Shimmertron » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:38 am

Thanks for the reply geeves. I couldn't feel any noticeable wiggle in the turbo - but some of the fins are bent over - so I am guessing something is wrong there. Lots of oil in the intercooler too. And yes I think the exhaust was oily instead of diesely. And the block was essentially empty of oil when I got it.

I have heard that you will get a knocking when you have a bad injector, like noisy lifters, not so?

Are these chinese turbo's bad news?

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/7073 ... o-New.html
Shimmertron
I'm only here for the information

City: Fanny Bay
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 diesel

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 pm

There are so many manufacturers in China that I have no idea if these are good or bad> If someone else has dealt with these people please advise.
Some are good. I think the originals are made there but some are not worth the box they are posted in.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust