• Advertisement

Dizzy

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Dizzy

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:29 pm

The HT lead between the coil and dizzy is on the way out so I thought I should relace the whole lot, the plugs and the dizzy cap. I think that they are the originals and the truck has done 230000k Is the dizzy electronic ignition or the old rotor style. I dont want to take the old one offand have a look before getting a new one because the old one looks a bit dodgy and last time I did that I was without that vehicle for a week while they tried to get me one. the motor is 2.6 petrol with a carbie in a 1990 rodeo thats right no fuel injection :o thanks anyone
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: Dizzy

Postby pig75 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:16 pm

All 2.6 4ZE1 were EFI. 2.3 was carby so it might have a dizzy of a 2.3 4ZD1
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:57 pm

isuzu wrecker in Auckland -I forget his name reckons that vehicle is original when we compared vin and model numbers with what is in it including original 2.6
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:41 am

There are carby 2.6 engines. It is a normal dizzi with an electronic igniter rather than points
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Local mechanic and I decided to do leads and plugs and see what that does - have noticed an improvment straight away the plugs were stuffed. The dizzy will be a last resort the second screw is about 5mm off the firewall and you cant turn it with your fingers -no room Thanks for all the advice
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:37 pm

The saga continues!!! I took the ute to the garage today for a exhaust leak- it blew apart above the gearbox crossmember where the headers join to the pipe. Drove it onto the hoist and fixed exhaust in about 10 min but it wouldnt start afterwards. No spark anywhere. We went through the dizzy(man that was ugly) which was so worn that the carbon rod is flush with the plastic and one peg is almost nonexistant. Traced to the coil and then the mechanic finds that he is out of those. We flogged one out of a wreck with advice to go to town to replace all of the above tomorrow
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:04 pm

If the second hand coil works then its only the dizzi cap to replace. For the most part a coil is a coil is a coil but do watch the size of the ballast resistor. If its too big a resistance you get poor spark with power and economy loss. If you remove it or it is to small the coil wont last but you get a spark to die for. I did this in an old Vauxhall with a ballasted coil in a system that didnt have a ballast. It would draw a spark nearly 3 inches long and only got me once. It was a day before I could get my arms down and a burn was left on my leg where I was leaning on the car.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:18 pm

The story took another turn today. I was taking my daughter to a soccer game about an hour south of here. My wife had taken our son to his game in Hawera about 40 mins south from here as his grade starts earlier. So we stpoped at Hawera supercheap to get a distributor cap (no luck what a surprise) went to leave and no go relaced the coil with a univeral unballasted coil and drove off to soccer at kakaramea. On th way back through Hawer my daughter need to make a stop so I parked at Repco to take her where she needed to go and try them for a cap. no luck and no go again no spark whatsoever . Passing mechanic traced it back to the electronic ignition module as being the suspect Do you think you can get 1 of those at 12.30 on a Saturday in a small town? $350 to get it carted home -I sure wasnt leaving it there overnight. Guess Im getting on the phone on Monday
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:20 pm

The story took another turn today. I was taking my daughter to a soccer game about an hour south of here. My wife had taken our son to his game in Hawera about 40 mins south from here as his grade starts earlier. So we stpoped at Hawera supercheap to get a distributor cap (no luck what a surprise) went to leave and no go relaced the coil with a univeral unballasted coil and drove off to soccer at kakaramea. On th way back through Hawer my daughter need to make a stop so I parked at Repco to take her where she needed to go and try them for a cap. no luck and no go again no spark whatsoever . Passing mechanic traced it back to the electronic ignition module as being the suspect Do you think you can get 1 of those at 12.30 on a Saturday in a small town? $350 to get it carted home -I sure wasnt leaving it there overnight. Guess Im getting on the phone on Monday
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby B8MYHK » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:03 pm

Makes me Dizzy reading . Hope you get it sorted.
B8MYHK
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Honda Jazz Holden Colorado

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:50 pm

I got really dizzy when I rang the local zu agent and told him that I needed an ignition module. Was told I needed a complete dizzy that they dont make anymore and last price 2 years ago was $1k Rang wrecker he had a complete one but there are 3 different dizzys for the 2.6 and mine was not the one he had. about 4.30 he found an aftermarket supplier that had 1 (just 1) -apparently the 1 I need wasnt used in NZ models. Picked it up today and reassembled everything and had it running sweetly in an hour :D Not bad for a guy who forgot to put the motor to TDC and mark before pulling the dizzy :oops: and hasnt set the timing on anything for about 10 years Just waiting for a new cap to arrive in the country and we will be good for another 230000ks
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:19 pm

What was the new cap like?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 pm

right alngle cap ie horisontal dizzy but leads all come out vertically and held on by 3 screws the other more common one are clip on
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm

I meant condition ie do you still need the new one
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:47 pm

most definitely one peg is almost gone and 2 are worn half through
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:26 am

Now to upset the apple cart. The ignition module in the dizzy will just be a magnetic pickup and igniter. All the advance etc is still mechanical. It would be possible to fit an after market igniter although most after market ones use an optical pickup. If you cant remove the magnetic pickup you would have to find one that can use the magnetic.
dont throw the old dizzy away
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am

Thats what I fitted an aftermarket ignighter at $216 + GST and all is right with the world for now
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 am

Sorry misread the post I thought you got a dizzy not just the module.
Thats an expensive module but when you are in a hurry you dont get a lot of choice.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust