• Advertisement

Go fast bits

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: Go fast bits

Postby turnturn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

I didn't fit the "bellows" hence my earlier comment about hole size in the bonnet.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby manwithav8 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm

turnturn wrote:I didn't fit the "bellows" hence my earlier comment about hole size in the bonnet.

Oh my bad, phone too small too see all messages. I think since the intercooler sits so high doing it the way you have suggested will work out fine.

Cheers
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

City: Palmerston North
Vehicle: 2000 Holden Rodeo 2.8TD

Postby isuzurob » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 pm

i have a vf10/vf8/rhb5 on my truck with intercooler and modified wastgate to be honest doesnt go any better except revs better higher in rpm
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby manwithav8 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:30 am

Ok, everything is fitted and working now. Pretty happy except for I still have a cracked manifold and will have to pull it all apart again to later fix that. Think I will hold off untill I have sported the exh drop pipe.

Cruising at 100km EGT are only 450 and boost is spiking at 14psi and dropping off to between 10 and 8. Whats my solution here? I use to have the boost gauge fitted between compressor housing and wastegate but now have the boost controller there and the gauge tapped into the line between the intercooler and boost compensator. It now appears when the boost stabilizes it is now less than before.

Over all the truck is quite different to drive, a lot more responsive low down and revs out fairly ok in the top end.

So next on the list is complete exh from turbo (2.5" as 3" just looks far too big for a 2.8L considering our Unimogs are running 3" and they are like a 6.0L), snorkel and a better flowing air filter.
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby manwithav8 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Has anyone advanced injection timing with good results on the 4jb1?

If so I'm just wondering how much to go? Running 11BTDC standard, have a diesel timing light so thought instead of a trial and error, if anyone has advanced there timing what has worked best for you?
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Cruising at 100km EGT are only 450 and boost is spiking at 14psi and dropping off to between 10 and 8.

Whats the problem? Boost is a function of load Low load = low boost = good economy. Not really that simple but the effect is the same. You dont get full boost unless you put the foot down. Porirua motorway my bighorn shows around 5 on the downhill bits and 10 on the uphills while holding 100kph
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby manwithav8 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 pm

geeves wrote:Cruising at 100km EGT are only 450 and boost is spiking at 14psi and dropping off to between 10 and 8.

Whats the problem? Boost is a function of load Low load = low boost = good economy. Not really that simple but the effect is the same. You dont get full boost unless you put the foot down. Porirua motorway my bighorn shows around 5 on the downhill bits and 10 on the uphills while holding 100kph

Sorry Geeves, it should have said curising at 100km EGT only 450...... Unload full acceleration boost spikes to 14psi then instantly drops off to 8-10. Meaning under full load, I know it will spike but if I want to run say 15psi that means the spike will be high then drop to 15. At the moment I can wind the boost controller right up and it will spike high but still drop down to 8-10. I can't get it to hold a constant 15psi.
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby isuzurob » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:16 pm

thats what i said it would do earlier i have tried alsorts of boost taps etc and the gfb is the best no spiking at all mine runs 8psi std and 10.5psi solid from 2200rpm to redline no spiking, another one is use a t fitting or roll pin bigger the gap in the roll pin the more boost it will run, you can advance pump but i have never done it with a timing light??? always use a DTI gauge factory is 0.50mm at 11 BTDC, max ive run on one is 0.60mm at 11 BTDC, changing the injector timing doesnt make that much difference unless its way out already, should check it after doing every cambelt mine went from 0.54mm to 0.46mm after changing cambelt
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Theres more to the boost guage thing than meets the eye. How you take your reading plays a big part.
On my 2.8 bighorn I have used a t piece with a restriction in the line to the boost guage and get 13.5 in 4th going up Ngaranga Gorge at 90 to 100kph It will hold 13.5 at full throttle from about 1900 rpm up to about 3800 where it drops off to about 12 when the rev limiter hits. My T piece is in the line from the intercooler to the fuel pump at the intercooler end. At idle I have a steady needle. I have tried an unrestricted T piece in the same location and in the line to the wastegate. Result in both cases was a needle hitting both ends of the scale at idle but max boost showing 17 over the same range as above.
On my 3.1 Wizard I think the waste gate might be faulty as it normally gives similar readings but every now and then hits the top of the guage at about 25 and stays there till the throttle is released. That turbo has dreaded shut down whine (and running whine) so may have to be replaced soon
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby manwithav8 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:02 am

isuzurob wrote:thats what i said it would do earlier i have tried alsorts of boost taps etc and the gfb is the best no spiking at all mine runs 8psi std and 10.5psi solid from 2200rpm to redline no spiking, another one is use a t fitting or roll pin bigger the gap in the roll pin the more boost it will run, you can advance pump but i have never done it with a timing light??? always use a DTI gauge factory is 0.50mm at 11 BTDC, max ive run on one is 0.60mm at 11 BTDC, changing the injector timing doesnt make that much difference unless its way out already, should check it after doing every cambelt mine went from 0.54mm to 0.46mm after changing cambelt

The idea of advancing injection timing is because we keep winding the fuel quantities up but never allow enough time to correctly burn that air/fuel mix. This can give a slight power increase as the engine can better burn the larger quantity of fuel injected ie more complete combustion. When you use a DTI you are setting the static timing, this ensures you have the correct lift in your pump for start of injection in relation to engine TDC. This is for when the pump has been removed or as you say a cambelt replacement.

Dynamic timing is a fine tuning once all back together and running. If you are injecting more fuel you want to give the engine the best amount of time to burn, this also helps with cold starts, reduction of smoke,(so you can wind up that fuel even more if you wanted) and often better fuel economy.

The timing light has a pezio quartz crystal in a clamp that goes around an injector line. When that injector injects, the high pressure fuel creates a pulse which is read by the pezio quartz crystal. I't like timing a petrol engine and makes fine tuning a diesel simple.
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby manwithav8 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Update on the mods. Drove from Upper Hutt to Palmerston north today and took some tools as thought it would be a good change to make some adjustments.

Rightio, even with a still leaking manifold im pretty happy. I can accelerate in 5th up hill and it pulls all the way to redline. The rodeo is a totally different truck to drive.

I stopped making the odd adjustment to fuel and boost while monitoring EGT's. Highest EGT was 700 degrees C but that was when I wasn't treating her nicely if you know what I mean. Obviously a new exhaust will help drop this. Boost at only 11psi when it steadied so I wasn't sure if I was getting enough fuel. I ended up winding the fuel up to a point where backing off the idle screw was not enough to bring revs below 1000rpm. In total it was about 2 full turns so it's not quite adding up.At this point with no load but 3000rpm there was no noticeable "puff" of black smoke. A short trip up the road under full load and still no big puff. I ended up backing the fuel off so I could control the idle with the idle screw as I didn't want to risk it.

AS said before, the boost controller is sh!t. I can't set a steady boost pressure, it is all over the shop so a new one to come. GFB atomic I thinks. Fuel usages was only a tad more than normal for this trip but that could be because I was laying it on a little heavy up hills for testing purposes lol

I should have some flanges for a dump pipe next week that are getting CNC plasma cut for me. 2 with divorced waste gate style and 2 fully open. Also having an exh manifold flange cut so I can make a manifold to suit a different turbo should I wish to fit. Flanges costing a big zilch so stoked with that ;-) Watch this space, might be some dump pipes up for offer sometime in the near future.

I will get some pics over the weekend of the set up and once the flanges are cut might start a separate thread for the exh and intake adventures..
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 pm

5th up hill and it pulls all the way to redline
Thats a tad over 160kph The cops will keep your car.

Im not convinced boost controllers are good or necessary. You can adjust the wastegate by changing the spring and the boost is only there when you need (want) it. If you dont want full boost just dont use full throttle.
Fuel ecconomy shouldnt be affected as you are only changing the fuel available at full throttle
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby manwithav8 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Sorry geeves, meant it pulled up hill and fifth, and pulled all the way to redline. Not meaning up hill in 5th to redline.

The rodeo always flat spotted around 3000 - 3500rpm. But now it just keeps pulling.
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:57 am

First thought that came in my mind was 5th red line up hill and with the artical in the dom post about Rimituka hill being dangerous because of the hoons yesterday. I had a vision of a Holden ute going up there sideways all the way.
Ive overtaken v8 Comadoors going up there but obviously they were not trying.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby manwithav8 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:39 am

geeves wrote:First thought that came in my mind was 5th red line up hill and with the artical in the dom post about Rimituka hill being dangerous because of the hoons yesterday. I had a vision of a Holden ute going up there sideways all the way.
Ive overtaken v8 Comadoors going up there but obviously they were not trying.

Lol Geeves, the truck has morphed into somewhat of a pretty nice machine but lets not get too far fetched.

I'm liking that I can overtake now without having to drop back to 4th. Having more top end is a good thing.
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby manwithav8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am

More go fast bits hot off the CNC plasma. Will need some tidying up but otherwise happy with how they turned out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby jellis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 pm

are you planing on making a steam pipe exhaust manifold?
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby manwithav8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 pm

jellis wrote:are you planing on making a steam pipe exhaust manifold?

Haven't decided exactly what I'm going to use yet but a new manifold in the making yes. Need to do some research into what turbo to use so i can base the manifold build around the mating flange.

Alos going to do a couple of dump pipes for the standard set up as it might be a wee while before getting onto the manifold.

Does anyone have an old head laying around thats knackard and they don't want? Want one to bolt the flange up to for fab
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby manwithav8 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:01 am

jellis wrote:are you planing on making a steam pipe exhaust manifold?

Looks like steam pipe is the way to go. Just have to find best place to get it from so I can get started
manwithav8
Isuzu Junior

Postby jellis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am

sweet i look forward to seeing how it turns out.

have you thought about what turbo you are going to use?
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

PreviousNext

Return to Engines and Exhaust