• Advertisement

Go fast bits

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: Go fast bits

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:47 pm

try steel and tube. They have most stuff at a good price as long as you dont mind having a little spare at the end of the job. Otherwise Aztec engineering. When I did my bumpers Steel and tube matched Aztecs price but Aztec was for 4 meters Steel and tube was for 8. 8 meters of 70x40x4 steel was fun on the roofrack of a Toyota Corolla especially on right angle corners.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm

there was a steam pipe manifold for a 4jb1 mu on trade me last week dont know if its still on there, just make sure you get good welds on the manifold mate made one for his turbo l200 welds have cracked twice now
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby MrRevhead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 pm

This thread is tickling my trousers!

As far as adjusting fuel goes, I thought there was quite bit more to it that just giving it a tweak...
I found this: http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/T ... _Rev_2.pdf
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby nivaman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:51 pm

pig75 wrote:Rhb5 is in the 2.8 MU's & Rodeos
Rhf5 is in the 3.1 MU's & bighorns
Poos!, I have a RHB5 on my 3.1 Bighorn, seems someone has changed it from the RHF5?.
nivaman
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1994 Isuzu Bighorn LS 3.1 TDi SWB.

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 am

You need to look at the rest of the numbers. RHB and RHF are the series of turbo and both were used on both engines The 89xxxxxx defines impeller and housing size and orientation of the inlet and outlet
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby nivaman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:16 am

nivaman
Isuzu Baby

Postby nivaman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:33 am

Ok so numbers are
VI58 8803
RHB5 28521A
Parts No 8944739540

From what I have read the VI58 is a Bighorn part number?.
nivaman
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Bighorn has intercooler so outlet has to be in a different place. If you intercool a Mu you use this turbo or modify your existing
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby jellis » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:30 pm

does anyone know what the flange type is? for both turbos.

where it bolts to the exhaust manifold
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby MuZILLA » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Thought it would be better to ask this on an existing thread rather than start a new one. It has been made pretty clear on the forum but just for extra clarification, I will ask with pictures.
The car is a 91 MU with a 4jb1t non-intercooled.
I just want to make sure the boost line connecting the boost compensator to the intake are the ones pictured below. ImageImage
If so, these lines were totally disconnected/leading into thin air. They have been for over 2years. Tried connecting them together the other day, not sure if it's a placebo effect or not, it does seem to pull a bit better around the 3k and above RPM range.
Also would this be a good line to run a boost gauge off, or the boost reference line as named by the GFB electronic boost controller instructions. By doing so, will the boost pressure supplied to the boost compensator drop?
I've got plenty of experience on petrol engines. Not so much on deisels. The last couple years with this truck has taught me quite a lot. So once I get close to the injector pump, I'd rather ask the question than be up for a new one.
Cheers for any help.
MuZILLA
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth, WA
Vehicle: ISUZU MU 1991 2.8TD

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:58 pm

that would be correct. I split that hose on my wizard and almost couldnt get up Law Road in Dunedin. I see some splitting starting in your hose.
There are 2 places you can connect the boost guage but this is by far the easiest also it gives the most accurate answer. You can also hook into the line between the turbo and waste gate
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MuZILLA » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks geeves. Yes the hoses are getting a bit old. I will be replacing them as I do this job.
So a regular t-peice would alter pressure to the compensator then. How could I overcome this.
With the boost controller solenoid going between the wastegate and turbo, I'd rather not split that hose.

Also. Next to the boost line on the intake, you will see quite a bit of oil that has come out of that black cap on the intakes qws butterfly. Is this quite normal without a oil catch can? Or would this leak inherit a boost leak also. Should I just pull the qws system out? Not really needed here in Western Australia.
MuZILLA
Isuzu Baby

Postby MuZILLA » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Oooh. One more opinion needed. I'm unsure whether I want the EGT probe before or after the turbo. What reading would you say is more important?
MuZILLA
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 am

t piece is fine. In theory there is no flow of air in this hose only pressure (unless you have a leak somewhere. Only catch is the closer you put it to the manifold the more the gauge will pulse at idle. Some t pieces have a restrictor to prevent this and better gauges are damped for the same reason. My old bighorn I removed the restrictor and the needle was pulsing so violently you couldnt read it at idle but it showed max 17psi boost. put the restrictor back in and still needle but only 15psi. Im guessing the diaphragm in the pump had a small leak. New bighorn got a more expencive guage and works properly without the restrictor
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:56 am

EGT you are trying to protect the head so as close as you can. A lot of people use the EGR port
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MuZILLA » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:37 am

The very informative answer is much appreciated. :D
And those were my thoughts exactly on the EGT probe. Just wanted to see if someone had a valid argument to the otherwise.
I think I'll go ahead with the install of my GFB Electronic boost controller straight after some sleep and let you know how I go. If you don't mind me asking, what gauge did you go with on the new bighorn?
And would you or anyone be able to share some light on my question about the oil from qws butterfly on the intake.

Once again thank you very much. Your information helps me a great deal. ;)
MuZILLA
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 am

that oil is blowby oil. The isuzu system isnt great at preventing it. As engine fumes are drawn into the intake some oil goes through as well even on a good engine. Ignore it is easiest and only practical fix
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MuZILLA » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Thank you. Thats been my fix for the last couple years. :lol: yeah I have noticed it's not the best for blowby oil. Still doesn't seem to burn much.

I was more wondering whether it should be leaking out of that point. And if it's leaking from there, wouldn't that mean that I'm leaking boost as well?
MuZILLA
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:26 pm

unless its spraying it everywhere its not enough to matter
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MuZILLA » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 pm

It kind of is getting all over the rocker cover and everything around. I clean it at least a couple times a month. I've spent quite a while fixing all the oil and fluid leaks from my engine. Only one left is this and the power steering box. Power steering box seal kit just arrived. Just need to get around to doing it. :(
MuZILLA
Isuzu Baby

PreviousNext

Return to Engines and Exhaust