• Advertisement

Fuel efiiciency and POWER

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Fuel efiiciency and POWER

Postby Jordan63 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Hello fellow Isuzu men (and possibly ladies)

I have a simple question that has a chance of making me sound like an idiot, which when it comes to cars i pretty much am.

All I want to do is increase the performance and fuel efficiency of my Turbo diesel mu, and Im not keen on spending thousands of dollars so possibly if I could no the steps to take towards increasing both of these, starting with the cheapest option.

Cheers
Jordan63
Isuzu Baby

City: Sunshine coast
Vehicle: 1994 mu

Re: Fuel efiiciency and POWER

Postby Demonic » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Exhaust system and intake (snorkle for off road or pod for road) would be a good start.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby Drift » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:45 am

Just posted this in another thread but could be relevant here too.

Ive just done a fuel test, UK gallons.

63 Litres gave 398 miles = 28.72 miles per gallon = 10.16 Kilometres per Litre.

http://www.geocities.com/mpgcalc/

This aint bad for 1995 2.8tdi (Frontera) with suspension mods.

The particulate filter and cold start flap has been removed from the exhaust and the EGR valves have been removed along with most of the pipe work also the pipe from turbo to EGR valves.
Ive also removed the cold start flap on the air inlet between the intercooler and inlet manifold.

This has noticeably increased the lower rev range and it pulls a lot better down there.

Im not sure which made the most difference as they where all done over a day, but it has transformed the drive.

113bhp stock.

It made that much of a difference I was considering upping the fuelling but Im happy as it is and I will not be fettling with the fuel pump no, thus saves a few miles in fuel lol
Drift
Isuzu Baby

City: Merseyside
Vehicle: Vauxhall Frontera 2.8TDI LWB
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Pro Comp +2" ES9000 front
Rear Rough Country +4" shocks with +2" Trooper HD Coils
and 2" poly coil spacers added
Trooper LSD rear axle waiting in garden to be fitted
265/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders on Mods
Flipped BJ's
Cold start and EGR valves removed.
Particulate filter removed from Exhaust.
Poly bushed ARB's
Moved/Modified air intake
Kinky rubberised floor
Groovy foam A bar
Uprated recovery points
And other tittle tattle

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:10 am

Intake and exhaust as Demonic says are good places to start. You need to do these before any other mods. In saying that though niether mod will pay for themselves out of the ecconomy gains although the slightly better power is worth having. I would consider these mods at the time of replacement of the part being modded. Ie exhaust when the old one rusts out and filter when due
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Pissy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:33 am

Don't forget the basic's,... air filter and fuel filter. I did a FAQ on air filters in the FAQ section, have read of it if you haven't done so already.

There's talk about the EGRs,.....?

The removal of the pre engine warming gas unit on the exhaust pipe,...most mechanics think its an exhaust braking system but its not, just uses exhaust gases to warm up the engine in COLD climites,...we in QLD we'll never need or use it and most/all of us here have removed it when upgrading the exhaust system to 2.5" and even 3"

If doing the exhaust try and get it from the turbo the "dump pipe" and not just from the flexi joint like most shop only want to do, I can't seen to find anyone keen to do mine without ripping me off (3"from turbo to the flexi joint).
Last edited by Pissy on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Do remember that performance and economy do not go hand in hand. This is completely true on petrol cars and partly true on diesels. On a diesel anything you do to improve its breathing improves efficiency which for a given load and speed will improve economy. It also gives better performance which if you dont use it does not affect economy but if you do use it then you dont get something for nothing. If yours is a 2.8 expect 32 to 35 mpg on the open road If its a 3.1 expect 30 to 32. With a high flow filter and a well made 2.5 inch exhaust expect another half mpg tops unless you push it. Around town it will be peppier but you will probably see a loss of economy due to the weight of the vehicle and the energy required to drive in stop start conditions.
Other cheapish mods to get more power are adjustments of fuel delivery and timing and boost pressure which can give very usefull power with little if any loss of economy.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby kingman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:00 am

Does anyone have any pics of the Exhaust upgrade after i/e during or and after the 2.5 / 3inch pipe is added?
kingman
Isuzu Baby

City: st michael
Vehicle: Isuzu tfs rodeo

Postby Pissy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:51 am

The exhaust upgrade looks pretty much like the standard system but larger in diameter by 0.5 - 1.0". The only really tricky points are the dump pipe and leaving enough room for Oil filter maintenance.
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby Jordan63 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Sweet, Thanks for the help
Jordan63
Isuzu Baby

City: Sunshine coast
Vehicle: 1994 mu

Postby bonkers » Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 pm

hey all i am starting my testing tomorrow....i have a near stock mu 2.8t only mod is custom intake. i will be running it on the dyno tomorrow and will post the results.. i have on hand a new turbo and boost controller.. top mount intercooler and bonnet scoop and will be installing a high flow muffler soon to that compiled with a little extra fuel and will see what happens.. This will take me several weeks but will post all dyno sheets...
Also my current turbo compressor wheel is damaged so this may effect the total power a little and the torque. i have 216k's on the clock.
Yeah tar thanks that'll be great..!
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1992 ISUZU MU 2.8L TURBO DIESEL

Return to Engines and Exhaust