• Advertisement

engine combination possibilities

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Sounds nice.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
User avatar
geeves
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8125
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: wellington
Age: 55
Country: NZ
City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn
96 wizard

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby rabidrabbit001 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:29 am

cocholi wrote: 3.2 manual transmission with 4JH1 bellhousing

Do you have any bellhousing swap pics?
Post them up bro.
rabidrabbit001
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 am
Age: 35
Country: United States
City: Springdale
Vehicle: 1999 Trooper converted to 4JG1T

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 am

So if you have a 4jg2 to start with could you just change the pistons for ones for a 4jg1 with a 4jh1 head?

I know the pump and injectors also need changing
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 am

How does the 3.1 di compare to the idi?
Much noisier?
More responsive?
More economic?

Any help would be appreciated.

New on this forum but not new to Isuzu, I love them
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am

never seen a 4jg1 in the flesh so guess its like the 4jb1. Yes noisyer yes more efficient. Cant answer performance
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
User avatar
geeves
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8125
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: wellington
Age: 55
Country: NZ
City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn
96 wizard

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 am

Thanks geeves.

I ideally want to find out more about rabidrabbit001's setup and how it's going
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby rabidrabbit001 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:56 pm

SteveyD wrote:Thanks geeves.

I ideally want to find out more about rabidrabbit001's setup and how it's going

What questions do you have.
I have been driving the 4jg1t convert for a little over a year now....and it is super reliable. She starts first or second turn. Rarely have to use glow plugs (manually operated plugs). Consistently get 23-24 US mpg. (10.23L/100km-9.8L/100km) fully loaded with work tools. It does have a small oil leak around the head....it may be that I'm using 15w40 Shell Rotella.
4jg2t block, crankshafts, camshaft, rods, 4jg1t pistons, 4jg1t head (same as 4jb1t/4jh1t head), 4jb1t gear driven injection pump, 4jh1t industrial generator gear timing, 4jb1t gear timing covers,
4jh1t injectors, 4jh1t injector high pressure lines compression fitting convesion to 4jb1t pump end fittings.
No black smoke except for initial 2 seconds of startup. Needs 12mm pump head conversion....still looking
rabidrabbit001
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 am
Age: 35
Country: United States
City: Springdale
Vehicle: 1999 Trooper converted to 4JG1T

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby greenwolverine » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:45 am

Reading with interest
I have swapped a 4JG1 crankshaft into a 4JG2 which I got from an industrial engines place here in Vancouver
It has a gear-driven cam arrangement

I am looking for a single 4JG2 piston with size mark C of dimensions between 95.385-98.4
Plenty for sale but sellers reluctant to measure them
Please pm me if you can help
greenwolverine
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Langley, BC Canada
Age: 48
Country: CANADA
City: Langley
Vehicle: 1992 Bighorn 3.1 TD
4jg2 engine
1979 Mercedes 300TD

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:07 am

rabidrabbit001 wrote:
SteveyD wrote:Thanks geeves.

I ideally want to find out more about rabidrabbit001's setup and how it's going

What questions do you have.
I have been driving the 4jg1t convert for a little over a year now....and it is super reliable. She starts first or second turn. Rarely have to use glow plugs (manually operated plugs). Consistently get 23-24 US mpg. (10.23L/100km-9.8L/100km) fully loaded with work tools. It does have a small oil leak around the head....it may be that I'm using 15w40 Shell Rotella.
4jg2t block, crankshafts, camshaft, rods, 4jg1t pistons, 4jg1t head (same as 4jb1t/4jh1t head), 4jb1t gear driven injection pump, 4jh1t industrial generator gear timing, 4jb1t gear timing covers,
4jh1t injectors, 4jh1t injector high pressure lines compression fitting convesion to 4jb1t pump end fittings.
No black smoke except for initial 2 seconds of startup. Needs 12mm pump head conversion....still looking


Thanks.
I didn't realise you had replied.

I've got a few 4jg2s and I want to convert one like you have.
I'm going to order 4jg1 pistons, liners, bearings and gasket kit. Also a 4jh1 head.

Are the 4jh1 injectors not electronic?

Why do you need a 12mm pump?

Are you running a stock turbo / pump settings?

I'm looking to get as much power I can from mine without risking reliability. I also plan to used the manual transmission from a 3.0 4jx1 for the better ratios
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

wont be able to bolt a 4jg2 block to a 4jx1 trans without an adapter.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
User avatar
geeves
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8125
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: wellington
Age: 55
Country: NZ
City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn
96 wizard

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 am

geeves wrote:wont be able to bolt a 4jg2 block to a 4jx1 trans without an adapter.


;) I've got a complete lwb 4jx1 with bent conrod. 3swb 4jg2 manual and 1 4jg2 auto

All in different states

Anything here with bigger than 2.0 engine is fairly cheap because the cost of fuel so cheaper to buy complete trucks instead of parts
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby rabidrabbit001 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:18 am

SteveyD wrote:
rabidrabbit001 wrote:
SteveyD wrote:Thanks geeves.

I ideally want to find out more about rabidrabbit001's setup and how it's going

What questions do you have.
I have been driving the 4jg1t convert for a little over a year now....and it is super reliable. She starts first or second turn. Rarely have to use glow plugs (manually operated plugs). Consistently get 23-24 US mpg. (10.23L/100km-9.8L/100km) fully loaded with work tools. It does have a small oil leak around the head....it may be that I'm using 15w40 Shell Rotella.
4jg2t block, crankshafts, camshaft, rods, 4jg1t pistons, 4jg1t head (same as 4jb1t/4jh1t head), 4jb1t gear driven injection pump, 4jh1t industrial generator gear timing, 4jb1t gear timing covers,
4jh1t injectors, 4jh1t injector high pressure lines compression fitting convesion to 4jb1t pump end fittings.
No black smoke except for initial 2 seconds of startup. Needs 12mm pump head conversion....still looking


Thanks.
I didn't realise you had replied.

I've got a few 4jg2s and I want to convert one like you have.
I'm going to order 4jg1 pistons, liners, bearings and gasket kit. Also a 4jh1 head.

Are the 4jh1 injectors not electronic?

Why do you need a 12mm pump?

Are you running a stock turbo / pump settings?

I'm looking to get as much power I can from mine without risking reliability. I also plan to used the manual transmission from a 3.0 4jx1 for the better ratios

No the 4jh1t injectors are not electronic at all. They are duel stage (2 sets of springs and pop pressures per injector)= smoother operation....supposed to be "non servicable".
I see your post about g1 crank shaft....it is identical to the g2 crank. I converted my 4jg2t belt timing to gear timing. It only needed timing covers, relivent gears, oil squirter, and gally plug for oil squirter to be removed, oh and the outer cam plate behind the gear.
12mm pump head needed because 11mm pump head from my 2.8L 4jb1t pump does not fuel enough for this 3.1L engine. I have tried several timing settings and several different fuel screw settings. It needs more fuel.
rabidrabbit001
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 am
Age: 35
Country: United States
City: Springdale
Vehicle: 1999 Trooper converted to 4JG1T

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 am

What have you done to the pump?

Boost compensator?
Full throttle stop? Both on the pump and under the peddle
Adjusted the advance pressure?

How much boost are you running?
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Tue May 02, 2017 7:37 am

I started doing my one Saturday
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Tue May 02, 2017 7:47 am

geeves wrote:wont be able to bolt a 4jg2 block to a 4jx1 trans without an adapter.


You can you just need the plate from the back of the block that matches the trans. Interchangeable with just 3 bolts
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby rabidrabbit001 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:11 am

SteveyD wrote:What have you done to the pump?

Boost compensator?
Full throttle stop? Both on the pump and under the peddle
Adjusted the advance pressure?

How much boost are you running?

Nothing done to the 4jb1t pump from stock. Just turned the fuel enrichement up a bit. Ordered 146402-4020 VE4/12L pump head and awaiting arrival. Changed timing to 1.55mm ATDC. Now getting 25.6mpg or 9.19L/100K.
rabidrabbit001
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 am
Age: 35
Country: United States
City: Springdale
Vehicle: 1999 Trooper converted to 4JG1T

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Fri May 05, 2017 6:53 am

You're missing a few adjustments that you really need to do before charging the plunger and head.
The boost compensator in the top is the first thing to do even before doing the max fuel screw. Also there is a full throttle stop on the pump and peddle meaning you don't get the last 1/3 of the throttle so remove them

The advance pressure will mean you get more advance at higher revs.
Well worth a bottle of research first.

What mpg was you getting before the conversion?
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Fri May 05, 2017 6:56 am

Is that 26mpg us so 31.2 mpg UK?
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby Dinger95 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:03 am

The Google says 9.19L/100K = 30.73786 mpg Imperial
Dinger95
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: York, Pennsyltucky, USA
Age: 39
Country: USA
City: York
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (Mu Wizard / Frontera / UCS7VF)

Re: engine combination possibilities

Postby SteveyD » Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 am

Thanks I didn't think I had worked it out right. That sounds pretty good for mixed driving
SteveyD
Isuzu Baby
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Age: 27
Country: United Kingdom
City: rochester
Vehicle: Trooper and Bighorn

PreviousNext

Return to Engines and Exhaust

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest