• Advertisement

Model A-4JA1, A-4JB1 Manual

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Model A-4JA1, A-4JB1 Manual

Postby Getafix » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Just found this online a thought it may help someone out there..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Getafix
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1990 MU 2.8 TD

Re: Model A-4JA1, A-4JB1 Manual

Postby sanramonrover » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 am

It appears to be only the Air Conditioning and Heating section of the manual.
1991 KB Diesel, 4 door, 4WD Pickup
sanramonrover
Isuzu Baby

City: calgary
Vehicle: 1991 KB Pickup

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 am

lots of manuals here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4123
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

4JB1 Manual

Postby slopester » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:21 am

20231026_162550.jpg
can somebody re-up a 4JB1 manual? just acquired 1990 JDM rodeo 4x4 5spd camper, 60k miles. it had been running 2 weeks ago at used car shop in longview, WA, then just went down to idling & would rev up when you pushed on primer pump so seems injector pump is working. But now it doesn't start since they took to nearby shop that was going to have injector pump rebuilt (maybe likely not the problem here) but didn't do as the vin didn't come up & they basically hadn't really touched anything. Had been listed at $10k I just bought for $5500 for this reason & trailered it & have just had a few minutes to try starting while somebody pumped on lifter pump until battery lost power. fuel filter is new. lifter pump seams clear & pumps diesel. but just getting started on this as I just got it trailered 3 days ago and need to get back up to it. Did notice that 60 amp glow plug fuse was blown but seems glow plugs only fire up at lower temps from what I've learned so far. there's a switch next to the switch that has engine with coil in it (some sort of engine heater) which seems to have something to do with glow plugs, but everything is in japanese. there is a 20A fuse for fuel pump (not blown) but I haven't been able to locate fuel pump yet from my 1st [pretty quick] go thru. is there an electronic fuel pump in tank that moves fuel up to lift pump? didn't see fuel pump anywhere along fuel lines from injector pump to lifter pump & back to top of fuel tank. Have not spotted wiring yet going to tank but need to look a bit more. Appreciate any suggestions!! Hope to get this ready for a few ski trips in the pacific northwest
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slopester
I'm only here for the information

City: Portland
Vehicle: 1990 JDM 4x4 rodeo camper 2.8 L diesel (4JB1) 5 spd manual

Postby pig75 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:13 am

They need the glow plugs to start.
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:32 am

just sent a copy of the manual to your yahoo account
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby paulthepilot5 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:44 pm

pig75 wrote:They need the glow plugs to start.

No not correct, only in sub zero conditions does it become a consideration. The factory glow control doesn’t even pre glow until coolant temp is below 5c
Any healthy direct injection Isuzu should start easily even down below that temp. Most starting issues stem from fuel system issues, air leaks, drain back, etc. Air in the system will retard injection events significantly causing the hard start and white smoke. Activating glow plugs can help in that scenario, but it’s not the cause of the issue.
Every DI Isuzu diesel I’ve owned hasn’t needed glow plugs, even my drag engine with less comp ratio doesn’t use them.

In the case of an an IDI engine it’s a completely different story.

Paul
paulthepilot5
Isuzu Junior

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8d
Compound twin Turbo
12mm fuel Pump
+50 injectors
Water/meth injection

TF Rodeo ute 2WD short wheelbase
2.8 4JB1T
Inline injection pump conversion
+50 injectors
Borg Warner s200 turbo
300hp, 650nm

Postby paulthepilot5 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:57 pm

slopester wrote:
20231026_162550.jpg
can somebody re-up a 4JB1 manual? just acquired 1990 JDM rodeo 4x4 5spd camper, 60k miles. it had been running 2 weeks ago at used car shop in longview, WA, then just went down to idling & would rev up when you pushed on primer pump so seems injector pump is working. But now it doesn't start since they took to nearby shop that was going to have injector pump rebuilt (maybe likely not the problem here) but didn't do as the vin didn't come up & they basically hadn't really touched anything. Had been listed at $10k I just bought for $5500 for this reason & trailered it & have just had a few minutes to try starting while somebody pumped on lifter pump until battery lost power. fuel filter is new. lifter pump seams clear & pumps diesel. but just getting started on this as I just got it trailered 3 days ago and need to get back up to it. Did notice that 60 amp glow plug fuse was blown but seems glow plugs only fire up at lower temps from what I've learned so far. there's a switch next to the switch that has engine with coil in it (some sort of engine heater) which seems to have something to do with glow plugs, but everything is in japanese. there is a 20A fuse for fuel pump (not blown) but I haven't been able to locate fuel pump yet from my 1st [pretty quick] go thru. is there an electronic fuel pump in tank that moves fuel up to lift pump? didn't see fuel pump anywhere along fuel lines from injector pump to lifter pump & back to top of fuel tank. Have not spotted wiring yet going to tank but need to look a bit more. Appreciate any suggestions!! Hope to get this ready for a few ski trips in the pacific northwest

The fact the engine revs when the primer was pumped suggests you have a fuel supply or air leak issue. Primer assemblies are known to fail and leak air. Also pump shaft seals fail over time causing similar issues. Start by ensuring the rest of the fuel system is air tight, and primer isn’t sucking air and go from there. There shouldn’t be a lift pump in the tank, nor do they need one unless there is an issue with the injection pump. As for glow plugs, as you stated the system doesn’t pre glow them until coolant is below 5c nor should it need them down down till we’ll below zero (C) but given you’re mentioning ski fields I’m assuming you will see significantly below that, so will need them functioning as well.
paulthepilot5
Isuzu Junior

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8d
Compound twin Turbo
12mm fuel Pump
+50 injectors
Water/meth injection

TF Rodeo ute 2WD short wheelbase
2.8 4JB1T
Inline injection pump conversion
+50 injectors
Borg Warner s200 turbo
300hp, 650nm

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:56 pm

A good way to check air leaks is with a piece of clear hose. In the line each side of the filter etc
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust