• Advertisement

Big problem with my 4jb1

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Big problem with my 4jb1

Postby TMatty » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Hay.. Long story, please read it all and help me out!

First of all, it started to not start and stall when it did start, people told me it was the water trap and pump on top, so i changed that and nothing. So then i was told it was the bushes at the front of the diesel pump.

Question 1, Does that mean a full pump overhaul or is there a cheaper way out? Its really anoying spraying 'start ya bastard' every time (when its cold)

Problem 2, When i drive around town it runs perfectly, makes good power and blows small amounts of diesel smoke, But as soon as i get onto the highway for more then a minute it starts to blow alot of oil smoke, It "Diesels" and when i pull off and let it idle the oil light comes on, But as soon as i rev it over 1k RPM it tuns off. some times after a highway run it will blow a ball of oil smoke on start up. Does this mean the motor is sad and needs a rebuild? or could it be something like valve stem seals? (if they even have them? im not up on my diesel motors) Also after any sort of driving when i open the oil cap its smoky and alot of oil is in the intake from the rocker breather pipe.

Thanks
Matt.
TMatty
Isuzu Baby

City: QLD
Vehicle: 98' TD rodeo

Re: Big problem with my 4jb1

Postby MrBIGHORN » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Do a compression test and if its not good you are in for a rebuild.
If the test is good then it mite be valve seals or turbo.

Good luck
Chris
Last edited by MrBIGHORN on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User Name Now Blondini

Mate gave me 20L diesel
Turned out to be 20L kerosine
Dam it went fast (For a while)
MrBIGHORN
Isuzu Junior

City: TAURANGA
Vehicle: 93 IZUSU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL

Postby Demonic » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Re the oil, when did you last do an oil change? and did you fill it right upto the full mark on the dipstick? Isuzus dont like being on the full, they prefer to be just under that mark.

Re fuel problem. You could get it rebuilt, but is may be cheaper to locate a 2nd hand one. if you have no luck in Aus try one of the NZ Isuzu 2nd hand parts places, freight may be a little but may also still be cheaper then a total rebuild.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby nighthawk » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:57 pm

You can do the valve seals without pulling the head off as well, cheap fix.
nighthawk
Isuzu Junior

City: Gympie
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu MU

Postby TMatty » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:03 pm

it burns/uses that much oil i need to top it up about once every 2 weeks, so being too much isnt a problem 90% of the time, I was asking the dude at Carbitz (trade parts suppler) and he recommended trying a thicker non diesel oil.. i did and didnt help at all..
TMatty
Isuzu Baby

Postby wbski007 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 pm

first of all I would start off checking the simple things, on the hard starting, I would check the glo plugs to see if their working or not, you say you changed the fuel filter, make sure there are no leaks and no lines are sucking air, make sure the sock at the end of fuel line in tank is not clogged, you can apply a little air pressure to the in comming fuel line where it enters the fuel filter, if the sock is glogged this will give it a temporay fix, it sounds to me you have fuel problems. :(
Cheers, Wayne
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby Ralphie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:24 am

I would check the turbo seals. If it is hard starting and burning oil. it could be the seals in the turbo have gone. This puts a lot of oil in the intake manifold. Easiest way to check, is to remove the discharge hose from the turbo, and run the engine. It will make a lot of noise, but you can then see if there is any oil spewing from the turbo when you rev it up. Much easier fix than an engine rebuild.
Ralphie
Isuzu Baby

City: Hastings
Vehicle: Bighorn 4JB1T; Rodeo 4JA1 (Turbo fitted); Wizard 4JG2

Postby TMatty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:20 am

The turbo was replaced not long ago so i dont think its that.. And if i did take the pressure pipe off i can near say there will be oil as its comming out the rocker breather pipe then into the intake of the turbo.

Ill take it down and get a compression test tomorrow, Man i hate this car!

Thanks
Matt.
TMatty
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:36 pm

It does sound like rebuild time. What milage and how regular has the serviceing been?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 am

if you read what he said in his orignal post it sounds more like a fuel and glo plug problem, not starting when its cold, but starts on either and running ok around town but not on the road, sounds like its starving for fuel, No! as for the oil problem, he may be over filling it?
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby TMatty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:04 am

i got the car with 140k on it, its now got 165k.

I service it myself every 7-10k. it doesn't seem to be starving for fuel, it has a small amount of black smoke under load or heavy driving.

I got the car off an old guy that used it around his farm, so unknown when it was serviced then, now come to think about it being a farm ute prob not too much.

I dont think the not starting is glow prob, it just dosnt have the fuel, its draining back into the tank. I can manualy prime it and fill the fuel filter and then it will start. was told it was the plunger ontop of the water trap, changed that and nothing so then was told it much be the injector pump.

im going to try and get it compression tested today and get back to with the results.
TMatty
Isuzu Baby

Postby wbski007 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:41 am

you can get a one way inline valve( I bought mine at a boat place) it only lets the fuel go in one direction, that will stop the drain back, but sounds like you have other problems as well, must be sucking air somewhere for fuel to be draining back into tank? wish I could be more help. let us know what your machanic says,
Cheers, Wayne
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 am

Low compression can cause poor cold starting but your description of pumping up the priming pump does not sound good for the pump. Oil changes should of been every 5000km
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby TMatty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeh.. my mech took one look at it and heard it.. "Yep, shes dead, rings"

So.. now to find another motor.. Anyone got a half cut sitting around? Or a Motor..He also said the pump might be ok, but i dont think so as the fuel is draining back..

If some one has something sitting around in Australia, call or sms me 0432158011. A local shop can do a reco exchange for 3900, rebuilt on site but i dont have that much or want a new motor..

Matt.
TMatty
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Take the head off before condemning the engine. The isuzu diesel has chrome bores that only wear if badly abused. A set of rings and bearings is only a few hundred plus labour
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 am

I go along with Geeves, if its only rings thats a fairley easy fix, must have alot of milage on it for the rings to be gone, or pourly taken care of.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:55 am

Ive seen a few motors where no oil changes have eaten the bearings to the point that the pistons kiss the valves. By that stage theres not much left worth saving. Also with the old high sulphur diesel a truck that did a lot of short trips would corrode the upper part of the cylinder. Happens slower on a chrome bore but does happen. Farm trucks quite often goe to the back of the farm and back and thats about it although in Aussi that might be a 3 day drive.
You never know till the heads off which isnt a lot of work
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrBIGHORN » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:49 pm

davidlee264 wrote:Its OK. Better find something new and better for you.

What are you on and can i have some :lol: :lol: :lol:
User Name Now Blondini

Mate gave me 20L diesel
Turned out to be 20L kerosine
Dam it went fast (For a while)
MrBIGHORN
Isuzu Junior

City: TAURANGA
Vehicle: 93 IZUSU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL

Return to Engines and Exhaust