• Advertisement

Oily air filter

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Oily air filter

Postby tertle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Hey guys,
more adventures, was looking to tighten the steering as theres a bit of play in it,( more that I'm happy with) but whilst i was having a look i had a quick look at the air filter, you know, see if it needed a new one.....holy crap batman!!! i actually wiped a big hunk oil sludge off one really effected area!

this can't be either good nor normal....what should i be looking at doing other than replacing the air filter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tertle
Isuzu Junior

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Re: Oily air filter

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Do you have a snorkel?
Its on the outside of the filter. Im guessing the inside is quite clean. If so the contamination came from outside the car.
If no snorkel the intake isnt far from the diesel pump and power steer resiviour and the filter itself isnt far from the power steer pump.
If you do you should stop driving past smokey chimneys.
To be honest I just think its done its job and time to replace
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks Geeves, No, no snorkel yet! but thank god as i was wondering what the hell has been happening under my hood!

inside is fine, guess its been doing its job, grief hope its not the original, poor old girl!
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: 1991 2.8TD Irmscher R, 32" Mudstars, rear auto lokka, UHF radio, Bullbars, Roof Basket, Immobiliser, recovery points, cargo barrier, manual conversion (TBC) Dual Battery (nearly finished), recore radiator, filters, Winch to be fitted, EGR blanked off, windows tinted, kick arse draws,

1990 Isuzu Trooper LWB 5 speed Manual......... Rebuilt top end, replaced all the seals, hoses and belts, 32" Bridgestone duellers MT, LSD, snorkel, 2" shackle lift, ball joint flip and tortion lift, manual hubs, breather tubes all round, tinted, UHF CB, about to put in dual battery,

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:57 pm

you dont know how old that filter is?
How log have you owned the car?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby tertle » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:17 pm

No, have no idea how old the filter is, but I've only had it five months, but got a new air filter from rep today, hopefully it will help the old girl! Gotta be better than the one I've just replaced!!!
tertle
Isuzu Junior

Return to Engines and Exhaust