• Advertisement

4JX1 - avoid or upgrade?

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

4JX1 - avoid or upgrade?

Postby keiPHadventure » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:21 am

H guys. I've reading through a lot of the threads in the forum and I have yet to see any late model Wizard, especially a tuned one.

So my question is this: Do you guys really prefer the old engine families (JG, JA, JB, HF) more than the JX? If so, why? I'm thinking of adding more power, but I was hoping to avoid swapping engines as here in the Philippines, diesel engines are very expensive.
keiPHadventure
Isuzu Baby

City: Quezon City
Vehicle: 2001 Isuzu Wizard 5-door

Re: 4JX1 - avoid or upgrade?

Postby Downhillnz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:12 pm

I personally would be avoiding it. No mechanic locally touches them where I am. Does that say something?
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:03 am

Some people get a good run out of them but they have a few quirks that can cause a mechanic that doesnt know them to pull all their hair out in frustration.
The basic engine is good but the injectors blow o rings that allow diesel oil and water to mix which is a expensive repair. Sensors fail and one of them doesnt cause a fault light so hard to find. One of the sensors can leak oil which runs down the loom into the ecu which is a very expensive repair once oil gets into the ecu. Last thing to cause headaches is 10w40 oil is too thick and they wont start in cold weather
Modifications are up the boost fit intercoolerer and big exhaust and chipping the engine.
In NZ I would say run away but over there if you have access to a mechanic who knows this engine you should be ok.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby keiPHadventure » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Oh dear me. LOL! Thanks, @geeves and @downhillnz... So, what engine do you think would be better to swap? 4JB1? Or the 4JB2?
keiPHadventure
Isuzu Baby

Postby Downhillnz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 am

Until it gives issues I wouldn't worry about swapping it. Just keep in mind if/when it starts giving issue you know that it is possibly going to be more cost effective to do a motor swap.
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:50 pm

It is a complex but generally ok engine. The biggest issue is finding someone that understands it. In NZ there are only a few hundred spread right round the country so any mechanic may only ever work on a couple. Its even worse in Australia where anything made in Japan is treated with much disdain.
In Philippines though there are lots of them so you should be ok except for expensive injectors. Keep an eye on oil and water levels esspecially signs of diesel in either and it should go ok.
Modification would be limited to after market chips or more efficiant turbos. These already produce good power
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby keiPHadventure » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Thanks @geeves. Good point. I asked a local tuner here if they could maybe add an intercooler to my engine since it hasn't got one. They practically told me to get another car! LOL! I'm looking at highway-use upgrades since I don't get much opportunities to go off road. So do you think I can just go and get an OEM Bighorn intercooler, stick it in and be done with it?
keiPHadventure
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 am

Intercooler has virtually no effect on anything the ECU controls. All it does is chill the air after the turbo which adds a lot of heat. There is a minor restriction but less than going on a hilly road. Same amount of air going into the engine Same pressure but as its cooler it gives more power.
Bighorn one should work fine although it would have to be off a 4jx1 bighorn for all the brackets to bolt straight up. Other intercoolers you might have to make your own mounts and plumbing
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust