• Advertisement

Freeflow air filters and tuning

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Freeflow air filters and tuning

Postby suzinoobie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 am

Hi guys, bin lurking but now could do with some advice. Have cut the cat converter out of my 3.2 petrol which gave it a bit more get up and go. Replaced the air filter with a repoco dropin about a year ago and was going to bite the bullet and use a K&N next time. Will this filter and exhaust mod have much effect on the air/fuel mixture? Will it need remapping or what ever they do to alter mixture? Tailpipe looks a bit rich also. Would like to get the thing running as well as possible. As you all are aware they aren't too miserly on gas :lol: Towing 5.3 boat back from Ak it was doing about 6km/L :o :o So should be about 8km/L without it. Much appreciate any help/advice.
regards
M2H
M2H
suzinoobie
Isuzu Baby

City: Waipu
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn lotus 3.2 V6 Petrol

Re: Freeflow air filters and tuning

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:24 pm

8km/l = 12.5l/100km = 22.5mpg
I wouldnt complain too bitterly about that from any 2 ton petrol truck
The differences in mixture due to the high flow filter will be less than the difference between air pressure at sea level and the top of the desert road and well within the margins set in the ecu
Do you 4wd? If not a pod type filter might be the way to go
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby iananita » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:59 pm

The petrol Jackaroos here in Oz had a restrictor in the exhaust for some reason, it was located where the header joined the single pipe. Most who remove this have found improved performance, that may have happened when the cat was removed?
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby suzinoobie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:59 pm

geeves wrote:8km/l = 12.5l/100km = 22.5mpg
I wouldnt complain too bitterly about that from any 2 ton petrol truck
The differences in mixture due to the high flow filter will be less than the difference between air pressure at sea level and the top of the desert road and well within the margins set in the ecu
Do you 4wd? If not a pod type filter might be the way to go

Thanks for the reply Jeeves. I don't know for sure that it actually is doing 8km/l (wishful thinking a bit :D ) No I don't go 4wd other than tow the boat on the beach. What is involved with fitting the pod and to what advantage? If its getting more air it should lean it up a bit. Don't know much about the ECU and how it works, will have to delve into the manual to see if there's any info about it. Another thing that's annoying is when starting you need to open the throttle a bit and crank it for awhile and yet sometimes it fires right up (often first thing in the morning)
Any thoughts on that or is a common feature of these beasts.
Regards
M2H
suzinoobie
Isuzu Baby

Postby suzinoobie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:17 pm

iananita wrote:The petrol Jackaroos here in Oz had a restrictor in the exhaust for some reason, it was located where the header joined the single pipe. Most who remove this have found improved performance, that may have happened when the cat was removed?

Thanks Ianita, Cant say about that, the garage had the straight pipe welded in already so I didn't see into the header. Next time I go for a wof i'll look when its on the hoist.
regards
M2H
suzinoobie
Isuzu Baby

Postby CARiD » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:24 am

Drop in filters like K&N for example slightly improve the air flow according to manufacturer tests, however the difference is so small that it is hardly noticed. The good thing is that such filters are often cleanable and reusable, so you don't have to buy a new one.
CARiD
Isuzu Baby

City: Cranbury
Vehicle: 2004 Isuzu Rodeo

Postby tealz83 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:12 am

The factory air boxes are small and restrictive so any improvement here will help. if you go down a pod style filter route go for the largest you can fit as the larger the surface area the better. You will need to be very careful of any water crossings through. Most workshops should be able to sort this for you if you cant sort it yourself.
tealz83
Isuzu Junior

City: Whangarei
Vehicle: 1994 SWB Bighorn. 3.1 TD
Sports air filter
18psi boost
3" exhaust from turbo
Fuel adjusted
32 11.5 r15 Maxxis BIGHORNS
50mm Rear spring lift, adjusted front.
50mm Body lift. 50mm fuel tank lift

Postby CARiD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Agree, water can be a serious issue, and cone filter is not really protected, unless you fit it in the airbox. K&N also makes filters that are designed to fit in your stock airbox. For US spec Trooper: http://www.carid.com/1993-isuzu-trooper ... 70412.html
CARiD
Isuzu Baby

City: Cranbury
Vehicle: 2004 Isuzu Rodeo

Return to Engines and Exhaust