• Advertisement

oil leak

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

oil leak

Postby Powertruck31T » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:33 am

Hey just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've got a oil leak coming out from behind the backing plate of the gearbox. It's getting worse. The rear main is the 2 piece genuine Isuzu seal which was pushed in with a proper tool I borrowed from a engine reconditioner . How much oil would leak out of this if it wasn't seating correctly? Would it trickle out or would it be quite a substantial amount> It's hard to tell if its the rear main or if its the sump leaking around the half moon seal. I guess the only way I am going to know is by pulling the gearbox out. Is it ok to start the engine with the flywheel and clutch off to see where the leak is coming from?

Jarrad
Powertruck31T
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 93 3.1 Mu 32" mudstars custom turbo setup, W2A intercooler, modified injector pump 2.5" exhaust system, LSD upgraded and the list goes on

Re: oil leak

Postby turnturn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:57 am

It could also be the input shaft of the gearbox?
How are you going to turn over your engine to start it with the flywheel off?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby Powertruck31T » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Sorry ignore my last message had a blonde moment haha. Not going to start without the flywheel lol.
I'm pretty confident its not the input shaft seal as the oil is quite black it's definitely engine oil its just diagnosing if its rear main or the sump leaking. If it's the rear main I can do it in place don't have to pull the motor out but if its the sump then it's going to be easier to pull the engine out. Just trying to figure out which one it is.
Powertruck31T
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 93 3.1 Mu 32" mudstars custom turbo setup, W2A intercooler, modified injector pump 2.5" exhaust system, LSD upgraded and the list goes on

Postby MrRevhead » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:30 am

Easiest way is probably to pull the box out and look. Box has to move to put the engine back in anyway.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby Downhillnz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Once you have the box and backing/sandwich plate off it it should be reasonably easy to see what has failed to seal.

What is so special about the rear main seal?
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Return to Engines and Exhaust