• Advertisement

Cooled EGR

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Cooled EGR

Postby Dinger95 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:50 am

Can anyone think of any practical issues with running the stock EGR valves / manifold in the configuration pictured below?
If this should not present too many issues, it looks like a Ford 6.4L F350 (really Navistar) EGR Cooler setup might be just shoehorned onto the 4JG2T.

IMAG0269.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dinger95
Isuzu Baby

City: York
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (Mu Wizard / Frontera / UCS7VF)

Re: Cooled EGR

Postby jellis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:29 am

just put blanking plates on it, or do you need egr for registration?
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby Dinger95 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Being that replacement heads, etc. are an import and wait item, I would rather retain any equipment who's job it is to drop cylinder temps.
A cracked head here would mean arranging an import from either UK,AU,JPN to the USA and waiting for slow boat arrival.

If I were to do a simple block off, the block offs would be tapped for a water injection kit like the Sno Performance kits.
I don't have one of those kits, I do have the Ford bits kicking around the garage and a welder to make up mounting brackets, etc.
Dinger95
Isuzu Baby

Postby jellis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Exhaust Gas Re-circulation (egr) will raise cylinder temps.

Blanking off the ports is cheaper, easier and better in both the long and short term.
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby Dinger95 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:48 pm

"Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is effective to reduce nitrogen oxides (NOx) from Diesel engines because
it lowers the flame temperature and the oxygen concentration of the working fluid in the combustion
chamber.
However, as NOx reduces, particulate matter (PM) increases, resulting from the lowered oxygen
concentration."

This is going off the topic of: if there is anything in particular that would upset the standard EGR valves being operated upside down.
The EGR is staying either way, just would seem to be an improvement if it can be routed through a pair of exhaust to water coolers prior to getting dumped into the intake tract.
Dinger95
Isuzu Baby

Postby Roderunner » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:25 pm

EGR may help with lowering combustion temps, but why pour abrasive carbon into the intake and mostly no, 3 cylinder? Over time, the carbon builds up inside the inlet manifold and port, restricting airflow which causes the cylinder/s to run hot, and the carbon causes accelerated wear in cylinder no,3 .
An EGT gauge fitted before the turbo is a great way to see whats happening heat wise inside the engine, mine tells me when the air cleaner is due for replacement by indicating an extra 40*C at cruise, but that's not all that it shows, when the fuel filter gets too restrictive the injection pump starts to starve for fuel and EGT's skyrocket because the pump can't advance the injection timing correctly because it uses internal pump pressure to change the injection advance. I've seen the exhaust temp go from 550*C to around 800*C when the pump isn't working correctly, if I didn't have the gauge I wouldn't have known.
Roderunner
Isuzu Senior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 93 Jackaroo

Return to Engines and Exhaust