• Advertisement

timing issues

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

timing issues

Postby mudslinger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:04 pm

so i did the timing belt on my pighorn 3.1efi, got everything lined up,the cam and pump with the bolts thru the pulleys were bang on, however the crank pulley locator dowel was pointed at 11 o clock instead of 12 o clock so i guess previous person had the timing out? i rotated the crank to the 12 position. once belt was on i rotated engine over by hand a few turns at a time and every single time everything lined up. now when i start it up to idle it has a rattle but once i bring revs up the rattle disappears. before i did the timing belt it never had the rattle at idle. have i done something wrong?

I got told that the efi pump is self learning and will come right with driving? anyone else heard of this? any help be appreciated cheers
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 91 mu 2.8TD manual

Re: timing issues

Postby stardog » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 pm

I haven't had anything to do with the efi pumps but it sounds like your timing is out now if you have a knocking rattle sound on idle.
My wizard with mechanical pump was the same until I static timed the pump with a dial gauge it ran rough as guts and rattle is it blowing any smoke.
Have you tried setting it back where it was and see if that fixes the rattle they should be set at BTDC when you static time them on the mechanical pump efi I have never done before so maybe someone here might know.
Sorry I cant help you out any more on the efi pumps.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:05 am

Did you put the bolts through the pullets into the block. Each pully has a hole for a m10 bolt that lines up with a threaded hole. This locks all 3 pulleys in place. It may be someone has played with the timing but your choises are set it as before and hope or set it to factory and adjust from there to suit. It is possible it had a worn keyway which has been recut making all the timing marks wrong
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudslinger » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:00 pm

i had the cam and pump locked in place with the bolts screwed in, before i touched it it idled and ran fine no issues no rattle nothing but now it rattles at idle only. i have just pulled it apart and the cam and pump are bang on but the crank pulley pointer lines up with the 2nd notch on the pulley so i guess its out by one tooth? would that be enough to make it rattle?
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 am

People have bent valves when the belt has jumped one tooth. Make sure the large bolt in the crank is very tight as well
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudslinger » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:21 pm

im wondering if my pulley is wrong as the mark on the timing belt sprocket is lined up bang on with the mark on the engine. do i rely on the pulley to be accurate or do i go off the the mark on the timing belt sprocket? cos thats perfect
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

Return to Engines and Exhaust