• Advertisement

Mission Impossible? 3" exhaust on 2nd Gen Bighorn 3.1TD

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Mission Impossible? 3" exhaust on 2nd Gen Bighorn 3.1TD

Postby gomulletgo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:17 am

Hey guys,

I had a look under my stock standard 2nd Gen Bighorn 3.1TD last night and there is sooo little room to fit a 3" dump pipe / exhaust in there. Has anyone successfully done it? It looks like it's so tight that the oil filter could hit it as you take it off, also it's so tight that even the engine moving on it's mounts could make it hit the body, chassis etc.

I don't want a 2.5" exhaust as I want to set it up for serious power upgrades down the track & I don't want to have to do the exhaust twice. So has anyone actually done a 3" exhaust on the stock standard 2nd Gen Bighorn 3.1TD?

Can you get weld on V-Band flanges in mild steel in NZ?

TIA :)
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Re: Mission Impossible? 3" exhaust on 2nd Gen Bighorn 3.1TD

Postby Dinger95 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:57 am

I know that a gent on here long back made 3" turbo downpipes that replaced the stock pipe.
I got one of them but have not done an engine swap yet, due to other changes for the engine that I don't have fully worked out yet.

You could try PM'ing someone from this thread that had a bighorn, from memory it was mostly interest from people with mu's:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1893
Dinger95
Isuzu Baby

City: York
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo (Mu Wizard / Frontera / UCS7VF)

Postby stardog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 pm

I wouldn't waste my time with a 3" system again 2.5" is best on these motors I have 3" on my mu and 2.5" on my wizard no difference in power easier to change oil filters with the 2.5" system as well.
I got a 2.5" down pipe off a mob in QLD they might post over to NZ from memory cost me around $240 free postage.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby gomulletgo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 pm

@ Dinger95 Thanks for the link although it doesn't look like anyone got a 3" dump pipe for a bighorn.

@ Stardog Thanks for the suggestion mate but I'm definitely putting a 3" exhaust through it, it's just a matter of how. I'll be going to a fair bit of trouble to have a full 3.5" snorkel (done), intake, airbox etc. all the way to the turbo. I want the intake and exhaust setup all sorted for massive power down the track, think compound turbos, nitrous, drag racing etc. I'll be relocating the battery, the brake boost res. I'll be removing the aircon etc. and other bits and pieces to make way for the extra turbo & piping.

Has anyone else actually fitted a full 3" exhaust to the 3.1TD bighorn? With or without body lift? I'll do a body lift if I have to but I'd prefer not to.

TIA :D
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Postby rabidrabbit001 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:28 pm

I had to fabricate my own since I couldn't find anyone here in the states that has them.Image
rabidrabbit001
Isuzu Baby

City: Monument
Vehicle: 1999 Trooper converted to 4JG1T, 2000 Trooper AR5 and TOD to AR5 conversion.

Return to Engines and Exhaust