• Advertisement

Getting more power?

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Getting more power?

Postby Jackmate » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Alright, I've got a 3.1 bighorn running 17psi of boost. Still wanting to get more power out of it though... I know a guy running 25psi on his and reckons that its fine, I do that really want to go there haha. Any ways you guys are getting more power with less boost. I've heard that a Subaru vf10 turbo bolts straight on. Only problem is that a vf10 is pretty hard to come by. So does anybody know of someone that makes adaptors and modified downpipes?
Chur
Jackmate
Isuzu Baby

City: Wanaka
Vehicle: 1994 swb Bighorn

Re: Getting more power?

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:56 am

increasing boost beyond certain points does not increase power on its own. It does however allow increased fuel which increases power if you adjust the pump. However do get an egt guage fitted before going this way
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Jackmate » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Cheers man, I have wound more fuel in. Black smokes heaps until it's on boost then it's just visible. I'm sure that's right. What will knowing the exhaust temprature actually do for me? Thanks for the reply
Jackmate
Isuzu Baby

City: Wanaka
Vehicle: 1994 swb Bighorn

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:31 am

Exhaust temp will tell you the burn rate in the cylinders and will help to prevent cracked or melted pistons
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby SamMu93 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:08 pm

if you have an intercooler thats a good start, a bigger exhaust is increasing necessary as you increase the fuel.
my experence:
increase the boost - I have mine on 15psi - this mod alone will show you little to no gains but needed for the next mods
increase the fuel rate - usual story, 3k rpm and limited black smoke is the goal
advance the timing - this lowered my egts, gave me more overall power (more like torque rather than turbo power) and i get more k's per tank.

Mine is the 2.8 4jb1t not the 3.1 - your turbo may decide to eject itself before you get good gains....
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Return to Engines and Exhaust