• Advertisement

Jackaroo 4JX1 Auto engine conversion to 4JH1 or 4JB1

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Jackaroo 4JX1 Auto engine conversion to 4JH1 or 4JB1

Postby Jackadeo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:35 am

Hi Folks, After mucking around with Pajero diesels for a few years and finding them too expensive and too many problems have started looking back at the Jackaroo with interest as we need a seven seater. I am a mechanic with experience at both Holden & Isuzu dealerships but am old school and prefer to work on the mechanical and not electronic systems. I have been out of the game for a while but still tinker at home.
I like the look of the 1999 to 2003 Jackaroo but with the reputation of the 4JX1 steered away from getting one but lately have been reading about the engine conversions to a 4JG2 or 4JB1 but noticed not much about the 4JH1.
My interest is in doing a conversion to a 4JH1 but converting to the mechanical 4JB1 fuel pump & injectors as I have spares in the back shed. That way I can use the top mount inter-cooler and EGR setup for licencing requirements.
Am wondering about whether to go with auto or manual transmission as there does not seem to be anyone who has used an auto in a conversion? My preference is for an auto if not too much hassle. I would be using an extra oil cooler.
Will the drive gear on the 4JB1 injection pump mesh with the 4JH1 gears? Are the injectors different between the 4JB1 & 4JH1? Is the turbo better / bigger on the 4JH1? Just looking at different options and donor engines while I get rid of my Pajero's. ;)
Cheers in advance, Dean.
Jackadeo
Isuzu Baby

City: Bunbury
Vehicle: 1995 Rodeo Crew Cab 2.8TD 4x4

Re: Jackaroo 4JX1 Auto engine conversion to 4JH1 or 4JB1

Postby stardog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:28 am

There is aguy who converted his jack with a 4jjj1 engine out of a Dmax on the forums here somewhere.
CLAYTO™'s 4JG2 to 4JJ1 conversion/resto
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby Jackadeo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Stardog, Unfortunately you did not seem to read my post. I had read that post but I don't want to rebuild a Jackaroo, I want to have an old school mechanical engine that will be reliable and easy to fix. I also want to know whether this can be done with an Automatic box or should I focus on a manual. I am looking at a 2003 Jackaroo auto with a blown motor for a good price but my main concern is the auto at this stage. Regards Dean.
Jackadeo
Isuzu Baby

City: Bunbury
Vehicle: 1995 Rodeo Crew Cab 2.8TD 4x4

Postby isuzurob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:41 pm

4jb1 pump fits 4jh1 if you swap timing covers and sump and use 4jb1 crank pulley, have to use 4ih1 injectors as pray pattern is wrong in 4jb1, also need to modify 4jh1 injectors and the 4jb1 pump runs higher pressure, the auto will probably need to be swapped for a auto with a kick down cable setup so it will function correctly
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby danz20 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 pm

isuzu rob can u send me an email daniel_norrish@hotmail.com id like to talk more if thats ok
danz20
Isuzu Junior

City: auckland
Vehicle: 1996 swb bighorn 3.1 manual

Return to Engines and Exhaust