• Advertisement

compound turbo 4jb1-t

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

compound turbo 4jb1-t

Postby notsomightyrodeo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 am

Got myself a factory turbo 2.8 rodeo. it's absolutley gutless and so I was thinking of doing a compound turbo conversion on it. Do we think this is possible?? If yeah, how would you guys suggest I go about it. Any issues I might run into?

cheers
Jack
notsomightyrodeo
I'm only here for the information

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1999 tf r9 rodeo

Re: compound turbo 4jb1-t

Postby dieselguy86 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 am

Im doing this right now, its all about how much power you want. Simply adding another turbo to a diesel wont give you extra power, you need extra fuel with that extra air. You can have a very well-mannered engine with a single turbo up to around 200-220hp. After that youll either have to deal with smoke with a smaller turbo, a big single turbo that will lack low-end torque, or compounds.

On my 250hp build i need 38psi (2.6 bar) to have a smoke free air:fuel ratio of 25:1. 38psi of boost is pushing a turbo past its efficiency limits. So its easier to “split the load” to 2 turbos. The secret is getting them to each do half the work, and not have one turbo doing more work than the other.

But now you also have alot more plumbing, not only oil feed/drain lines but the exhaust and boost plumbing. Then your going to need to upgrade your intercooler because your going to have 300+°f (149+°c) air coming out of the second turbo.

Not trying to scare you away, just trying to shed some light on what all is required to not only add another turbo, but what it takes to build a PROPER system.

-Joe
dieselguy86
Isuzu Baby

City: Republic
Vehicle: (2) 86 Trooper II diesels
(2) 86 Jeep cherokee diesels
06 chevy 2500 duramax
14 jeep grand cherokee ecodiesel

Postby tonkamu » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Just blown away with the figures here, I can't get my head around how that is going to be applied from the engine to the wheels with out stuff breaking? I upgraded my power abit maybe 140 or 150hp max I get axle wrap u bolts keep needing to be tightened up and they look like they are weakening, my clutch is gone, my gearbox is starting to fail my downpipe keeps coming lose. its just falling apart now with the extra beans it was never deisnged for lol I can't see how rear SOA works with a lot of engine mods, the rear must wrap so badly
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Build a 5 link around the rear leaves
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:19 pm

99 rodeo has the small exhaust manifold and turbo, I run a bighorn manifold and vf8/vf10 2.8 bighorn turbo, with 3.1 bighorn dump pipe, with wound fuel pump on my rodeo and it goes awsome
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Return to Engines and Exhaust