• Advertisement

best performance air filter

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

best performance air filter

Postby Linhe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 pm

what is the best air filter for air flow? i had a autozone special on there for a while https://mechanicfaq.com/air-filters-for-dodge-cummins/ , then decided to buy a high dollar amsoil filter that turned out to be worse that the specter filter. not even 5 months old and if i give it anything past half throttle it will suck down the filterminder and has a noticable affect on power.
Last edited by Linhe on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linhe
I'm only here for the information

City: New York
Vehicle: Isuzu KB Series 300 D-TEQ LX Double cab Bakki

Re: best performance air filter

Postby geeves » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:05 am

Ive got a K&N on mine and after 4 years its probably due a clean although still flowing fine. Previous truck had a finer filter which needed cleaning more often but still good. The Finer was a drop in foam filter. The K&N is a pod with the airbox modified to support a pod filter.
The cheap cotton based filters normally work just as well new but a cautionary tale from a Nissan Patrol that had one fail in a competition. Full noise up a hill climb and there was a loud bang followed by total silence. First thought was thrown rod but it turned out the metal disk in the top of the filter had come loose and was now wedged in the top of the turbo blocking all air.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: best performance air filter

Postby Brinky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Yip, K&N great and very easy to clean and re-oil. There are some low priced K&N kits on trademe. K&N OEM No. 99-5000 for only $18.88. Watch out, some other kits have smaller bottles.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8l UCS55
Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Return to Engines and Exhaust