• Advertisement

4JB1 Intercooler & VF8 Upgrade

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

4JB1 Intercooler & VF8 Upgrade

Postby Downhillnz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 am

Hi All,

Haven't been active for a while now but thought I should share what Isuzu related things I had been working on recently for a friend.

Tasked to make the poor 4JB1 to make some grunt all around the rev range, the following was done:

Intercooler & Plumbing to suit
VF8 hybrid, This came off my old truck.
2.5 inch exhaust, Also off my old truck.
A device that would assist with swimming.

I failed to take any progress photos of the intercooler fitting or mounting.

Starting the cold side of the intercooler piping.

Testing fit up:

Intercooler end of the cold side:

Welding around the Turbo Elbow:

Forgot to take a photo of making the Turbo side, Got the intercooler end though:

End Result including airbox piping:

Few photos of the Snorkel:
Slight intercooler sneak peak

From there the vac lines for the IP, Turbo & External Gate were hooked up, bled the cooling system and proceeded to ramp some fuel in.

Seems at a wastegate pressure of 18PSI with fueling still very light the clutch wasn't impressed on its newly found torque. We called it a day there and I sent it on its merry way to my friend to get a few ks up on it while he sorts the clutch slipping.
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Re: 4JB1 Intercooler & VF8 Upgrade

Postby tonkamu » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Cool thanks for sharing. Hope you sort the clutch out. Same thing happened to me. New hd clutch going good tho but still afraid of slipping.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby paulthepilot5 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 pm

tonkamu wrote:Cool thanks for sharing. Hope you sort the clutch out. Same thing happened to me. New hd clutch going good tho but still afraid of slipping.

A good heavy duty clutch should be able to cope with that. My NPC clutch was holding around 550nm at around 27psi. The NPC clutch is probably good to about 600nm for most driving.
paulthepilot5
Isuzu Junior

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8d
Compound twin Turbo
12mm fuel Pump
+50 injectors
Water/meth injection

TF Rodeo ute 2WD short wheelbase
2.8 4JB1T
Inline injection pump conversion
+50 injectors
Borg Warner s200 turbo
300hp, 650nm

Postby tonkamu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Hey but was that 550nm up a hill on sealed road doing 80-90 kph in 4th/5th. I should say going from low rpm to high rpm to make that 550nm in that situation.

All the heavy duty clutches by common brands that I saw were 40% extra clamp load rating above factory stated on the spec sheet.

Which on some sites state 440nm rating, is this the type of clutch you mean that can actually handle 600nm?

I'd imagine with the common upgrade mods vf10/td04 big bore exhaust bigger intake and fuel increases etc I think that brings 4jg2 and 4jb1 into the capable 400nm torque range?
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby paulthepilot5 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:22 pm

tonkamu wrote:Hey but was that 550nm up a hill on sealed road doing 80-90 kph in 4th/5th. I should say going from low rpm to high rpm to make that 550nm in that situation.

All the heavy duty clutches by common brands that I saw were 40% extra clamp load rating above factory stated on the spec sheet.

Which on some sites state 440nm rating, is this the type of clutch you mean that can actually handle 600nm?

I'd imagine with the common upgrade mods vf10/td04 big bore exhaust bigger intake and fuel increases etc I think that brings 4jg2 and 4jb1 into the capable 400nm torque range?

Not quite sure what you mean? That torque was measured on a dyno, peaked at 550nm @ 2400rpm. The NPC clutch could hold that in 5th accelerating from 1200rpm on the road without slipping. Was more on the drag strip that I started to get slippage and cooked it after a while, was still fine to drive on the road though.

The NPC I had was an Exedy heavy duty clutch which they increase clamping force by around 25%

400nm not too hard to get to on the 4jb1t. Good exhaust, intake, more fuel and boost. They will make over 600nm if you really go to town on them.
paulthepilot5
Isuzu Junior

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8d
Compound twin Turbo
12mm fuel Pump
+50 injectors
Water/meth injection

TF Rodeo ute 2WD short wheelbase
2.8 4JB1T
Inline injection pump conversion
+50 injectors
Borg Warner s200 turbo
300hp, 650nm

Postby tonkamu » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:39 am

Hey, yeah I was meaning torque of the engine vs resistance of large mud wheels, drive train and all the mass going up a hill from steady low rpm in 4th or 5th to full load and high rpm with a lot of boost in the same gear. just seems like its going to slip. I don't know to much about it all, but I find it interesting.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

Return to Engines and Exhaust