• Advertisement

4jg2t turbo noise , oil drain pipe leaking!!!

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

4jg2t turbo noise , oil drain pipe leaking!!!

Postby golumkhan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi guys , having some issue with turbos on my 4jg2t , the turbo started screaming when hitting boost like a whistling noise , i installed a new turbo and it did the same on first run (waited 5 min idling before the run) then after 10 minutes it just stopped and was good for afew weeks.

Then this morning i started it up and drove without to much of a warm up and the turbo started screaming and stopped once at operating temp .

The oil drain from turbo has a light split in the pipe but i haven't been to worried because virtually no oil is coming out but its still noticeable , so is it the split in the pipe causing air to drain all the oil from the turbo bearing causing it to scream or is it a case of me just needing to warm it up for longer ? i really dont want to buy ANOTHER turbo.
golumkhan
I'm only here for the information

City: mumbai
Vehicle: CIVIC

Re: 4jg2t turbo noise , oil drain pipe leaking!!!

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Its possible. What car is this in?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: 4jg2t turbo noise , oil drain pipe leaking!!!

Postby BUBsthemu » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:08 am

Hi guys just read this thread and thought I'd add my comments and my fix. Turbo noise is normal but of course an overly loud whine suggested something ain't right. I have a 4jg2 MU with 260000 ks and as has been mentioned before here it does breath heavily through the engine breather. This sadly is normal for these engines particularly high mileage ones. On investigation I found that my turbo appears ok with no play in the bushes, but the inlet blades were covered in oil from the engine breather. This can cause the turbo to come out of balance and the oil also slightly changes the shape of the turbo blades and all this leads to excessive noise. So while I had the inlet piping off I cleaned all piping, both low pressure and high pressure out with some Brakleen. Make sure that no Brakleen residue is left in the pipes as the engine might like it as fuel and run away, not a good look. At the same time I cleaned all the oil from the turbo blades and the inside of the housing. This can be done by starting the engine with the low and high pressure pipes off and spraying the Brakleen in through the inlet side of the spinning turbo. You will need to loosly place a rag over the outlet of the turbo because all that oil contaminated Brakleen is going to spray out. Keep running the engine like this at idle for about ten minutes. This will ensure that no Brakleen is left in the turbo for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Don't go poking anything into the spinning turbo, obvious I guess but as a mechanic I've seen people do it. Reassemble all your inlet piping and hopefully your turbo should be quieter, mine definatley is. This won't stop your engine breather from coating everything in oil again over time. Check other posts in this forum for that fix. I hope this helps, it did for me. My BUBs no longer whines when asked to work!!
BUBsthemu
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1995 4jg2 MU.

Return to Engines and Exhaust