• Advertisement

What engine do I have

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

What engine do I have

Postby rarodeo » Mon May 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi Guys New here,

I have a 2004 Rodeo spacecab 4x4 and was wondering how I tell if I have a 4hj1 ,Pretty sure its a 3.0 litre and its diesel turbo

Thanks
rarodeo
Isuzu Baby

City: Wa
Vehicle: 2004 rodeo

Re: What engine do I have

Postby paulthepilot5 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 pm

rarodeo wrote:Hi Guys New here,

I have a 2004 Rodeo spacecab 4x4 and was wondering how I tell if I have a 4hj1 ,Pretty sure its a 3.0 litre and its diesel turbo

Thanks

You will have a 4JH1. The 4JJ1 wasn’t till around 2006-2007
paulthepilot5
Isuzu Junior

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8d
Compound twin Turbo
12mm fuel Pump
+50 injectors
Water/meth injection

TF Rodeo ute 2WD short wheelbase
2.8 4JB1T
Inline injection pump conversion
+50 injectors
Borg Warner s200 turbo
300hp, 650nm

Postby rarodeo » Thu May 14, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks Paul,

This vehicle is new to me and is SERIOUSLY under powered. I can put my flat to the floor and it barley moves,

I can smell a slight diesel smell the exhaust which I believe to be unburnt. Could the tappets be miles out of spec and causing incomplete combustion on one or more cylinders?.

Where would one find the process with pictures preferably to cheap valve gap?.

Do I need any special tools to do this?.

Could it be a really blocked exhaust cat converter?. I am looking at replacing it with a 3 inch system but its all $$ at the moment>

Thanks in advance
rarodeo
Isuzu Baby

Postby paulthepilot5 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 pm

rarodeo wrote:Thanks Paul,

This vehicle is new to me and is SERIOUSLY under powered. I can put my flat to the floor and it barley moves,

I can smell a slight diesel smell the exhaust which I believe to be unburnt. Could the tappets be miles out of spec and causing incomplete combustion on one or more cylinders?.

Where would one find the process with pictures preferably to cheap valve gap?.

Do I need any special tools to do this?.

Could it be a really blocked exhaust cat converter?. I am looking at replacing it with a 3 inch system but its all $$ at the moment>

Thanks in advance

They are very underpowered, valve clearances are probably the least likely thing to be causing the issue, but worth checking anyway, no special tools needed. Check your air filter as well. EGR could be choking it up a fair bit too, usually get a buildup of crap through the inlet manifold. Being 100% reliant on sensors there could be an issue there more likely. MAF, TPS etc
paulthepilot5
Isuzu Junior

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo 2.8d
Compound twin Turbo
12mm fuel Pump
+50 injectors
Water/meth injection

TF Rodeo ute 2WD short wheelbase
2.8 4JB1T
Inline injection pump conversion
+50 injectors
Borg Warner s200 turbo
300hp, 650nm

Postby rarodeo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 pm

Ok here's one for the Isuzu pros

Since last post
All fluids changed
All filters changed
Valve clearance checked ( was good)
Maf cleaned
EGR blocked

Here's the problem, Still seriously under powered to the point where 90 K is max speed Unladden!!.

I was pulling some sand in the ute the other day (500 Kg Max) and it was a complete slug I went up a few hills (small) and foot is flat to floor doing 70 K and then check engine light comes on.

Pull over switch off wait 20 seconds start up and away we go again for another 10-20 K till it happens again.

Pull over and remove the new clean air filter ( ryco) and IMMEDIATE 15-20 % gain in power Top speed now 120 and revs harder and faster!!!.

How can a brand new clean air filter affect my power so much?

My only theory is the stock exhaust and Cat converter are so blocked that with the SLIGHT increase in airflow resistance with the airfilter on it tips it into fault mode??.

Is this possible?.

I don't want to drive forever with no air filter but what is the solution?.

I have ordered a 3 inch exhaust from turbo back but wont be ready for a month.

Thanks in Advance Steve
rarodeo
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 pm

Have you smashed the cat out? It's right behind the turbo, very common issue to block, I've smashed hundreds out, they just arnt a fast ute, I have 5 of them and all are slow compared to other vechiles, have a manual pump 1 and it has amazing power
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby rarodeo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi Rob,

Wasn't going to bother with smashing cat as it will all be gone in a few weeks.

I'm not looking for fast I just want it to get me from A to B with out shitting its pants every 20 k and going into limp mode.

I cant believe there isn't a solution to the CEL with all the problem cars out there!.

Has anyone else had air filter issues or do you think its related to Blocked Cat?.

Could I use some stocking or nylons on the metal frame off the air filter and use that as a filter and rip the paper out of it?. Would need cleaned a lot more!!.
rarodeo
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engines and Exhaust