• Advertisement

SAS on the cheap

For all suspension modifications

SAS on the cheap

Postby tonkamu » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:18 am

Hi all,

This is my 3rd Mu and most modded one I've had, I like the look of the Mu but disappointed by its limits off-road. I'm still learning about driving off-road and the mechanical side of things.

I'm interested in lifting suspension beyond what I currently have. I've read those project solid axle swaps and they have gone all out beyond what I can afford and do as expertise goes.

Is there a cheaper easier way to get some solid axles under with some decent lift and is it still legal.

Or should I just sell up and buy a patrol.

Cheers!
tonkamu
I'm only here for the information

City: auckland
Vehicle: 2.8TD Black mu 1991, 2 inch suspension, 2inch body lift, rear Lokka, custom air pod filter, 2.5inch exhaust to turb, snorkel, top intercooler/scoop, 33 Achilles on steelies, runva winch, max tints, 15 psi, fuel adjusted, turbo timer volt meter, egt meter, boost gauge, Rockford amp/speakers/sub, heavy duty clutch.

Re: SAS on the cheap

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 pm

All sas swaps need certing
Best you can do in the front of a mu is wind the adjustable suspension up 50mm from standard remove the top ball joint and remount under the arm and redo wheel alignment. To go further requires a diff drop or it puts the cvs under too much strain. Best chance of articulation is in the rear but there seems to be more than one rear suspension and stuff that works well in one doesnt in anouther
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn
96 wizard

Postby tonkamu » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi geeves,

My mu has that done to the front, my rear is on 4 inch shackles thinking of asking autoalign to put some long coilovers for me if its cheap. I keep digging in my leaf springs into everything.

I still have my sway bar, should I remove that?

I dream of having my Mu on solid axles from another 4wd, what chassis is close to Mu's? I've seen some where the front wheels stick out past the front of the car, that cant be legal in 2017?

What do most use to sas a mu?

edit: Also sorry for the amount of questions. with a front diff drop how much more can you lift the front? my torsion bars already sqeeking and squeeling at 2inch.
tonkamu
I'm only here for the information

City: auckland
Vehicle: 2.8TD Black mu 1991, 2 inch suspension, 2inch body lift, rear Lokka, custom air pod filter, 2.5inch exhaust to turb, snorkel, top intercooler/scoop, 33 Achilles on steelies, runva winch, max tints, 15 psi, fuel adjusted, turbo timer volt meter, egt meter, boost gauge, Rockford amp/speakers/sub, heavy duty clutch.

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:00 pm

There are several write ups on here that cover sas conversions. Always lots of welding and grinding required. Most common axle is Hilux but a couple have been done on Nissan Patrol diffs. One write up a long time ago by muvitmadness saw 37 inch tyres and a ram index past 1200 but the amount of work in that was way past substantial.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn
96 wizard

Return to Suspension