• Advertisement

replacement torsion bars

For all suspension modifications

replacement torsion bars

Postby geeves » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:38 pm

So often I have said you dont need these but the bighorn is already soft in the front with an alloy bar and winch and there is a steel bar to go on adding more weight to the front. I have purchased new bars but before I attack them is there ant tricks? Will I be able to wind the old ones back to no load without dismantling the suspension or can I get away with just jacking up and undoing things?
This isnt a job I want to go ping half way through
thanks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: replacement torsion bars

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:49 pm

Yeah just jack it up and undo, they can be tight in the splines in the bottom arm, can unbolt the adapter from the arm if needed, aftermarket bars dont need anywhere near as much tension on them for the same ride height, and truck won't flex aswell off road
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:51 pm

My swb ubs55 weighs 2.5 tonne on standard torsion bars with 3inch lift in the front, strange your torsions wo t handle it
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:13 am

I had similar weight in the front of the old truck and it was fine but this one has always felt a little soft in the front and the new bullbar is as heavy as the crumpled alloy one plus winch which will have to be swapped over. I wont be getting rid of the old bars just in case
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 am

ones done then the garage turned into an oven. Im starting to get homesick for Wellingtons wind rain and high temperatures in the low 20s Its 28 now and climbing in the shade but the garage has a large window on the sunny side.
I took your advise on the flanges and gave them a decent hit with a 2lb hammer then chased them across the garage floor
Hardest part was doing back up the 2 bolts on the lower arm. Getting a spanner onto the back of those takes patience shorter spanners than I own and lots of swear words only to find that once you are half way you have to tighten the other side before completing this side
Before starting I did a push test which showed the front to be softer than the rear which suggests something wrong with the original springs
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension