• Advertisement

cv keeps breaking

For all suspension modifications

Re: cv keeps breaking

Postby xcilim » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 am

just took diff head out and ratio is 4.55
Last edited by xcilim on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
xcilim
Isuzu Baby

City: Westport
Vehicle: 1991 isuzu mu 2.8 all standard

Postby xcilim » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 am

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHH !!!!!!!!! pulled rear diff head out as i thought it was 4.35 ratio turns out it was 4.55 checked the front diff ratio 4.55 also well close enough to it . i just lifted a wheel marked the bottom of the tyre and gave it 2 turns as i counted the universal go round . seen a cople of teeth in the rear diff with bits missing off them so replacing the diff head putting a original cv in the drivers side then ill have both sides running genuine cv's .Once all this is in tomorrow night ill go out and give the things utter assholes and if there is another breakage it's down the road for the mu .
xcilim
Isuzu Baby

Postby Blondini » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:40 am

Just a thort.
Check your shocks they mite be longer than the genuine shock. That could break your cv's.
Blondini
Isuzu Senior

City: Papamoa Tauranga
Vehicle: 93 ISUZU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL AND HANKOOK RT03 265/75/16 (32") MUD TYRES.

Postby xcilim » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 am

yes that has been on my mind for some time just another expense to elimanate a problem lol the story of my mu . but thanks ill look into that also .
xcilim
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm

In the front travel is controlled by the bump stops not the shock. There is the large stop on the upper arm but more important is the small bump stop on the other side of the arm. This controls how low the suspension can drop. Its common to trim this bump stop to get travel but it can really put a strain on the cv. Same applies to the ball joint flip as this also allows more than factory travel.
2 things to look for. 1- 2 bump stops on the upper A arm 2- the ball joint on the upper A arm should be bolted to the top of the arm. If its bolted to the bottom this is a ball joint flip.
Id never thought about the possibility of a 3.1 bighorn cv getting in there I always thought they would be too long Dont know how to check this
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby BUSHPIG » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:27 pm

its only the axle on the 3.1 is longer so if he mesure his axles against the 2.8 ones that would tell him. the 3.1 and 2.8 cv,s are ment to be the same axle spline so they are interchangebul but if you use the 3.1 axle in a 2.8 it will bottom out in the axle cup putting to much load on the outter cv so it snaps. im putting my money on that as a cause. also if you look at one of the photos of the inner axle cup it looks like its been bottoming out

download/file.php?id=821&mode=view/CIMG5961.JPG

notice the polished bit in the middle of cup it looks like something been bottoming out in there
BUSHPIG
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1988 GQ Safari
TD42 Turbo Running 17psi
Custom BRD Top Mount Intercooler
Custom BRD 3" Exhaust
Factory GU Turbo Airbox
Safari Snorkle
2000 Gu Td42-T Injector Pump
Turbo Injectors
Pto Winch
Custom BRD On-Board Air Bracket With Modified Second A/c Pump
Custom Front Bar Work
Ally Roof Cage
2 1/2" Suspension Lift
Front LSD
Rear LSD
33x12.5xr15 Maxxis Tyres
Diff And Gearbox Breathers
Am Cb
Uhf Cb
GPS Tracker.

Planed Mods::
Exo Cage
Rear Barwork
Rear 14,000lb Winch

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Good point. Problem is I suspect he has 2 front axles of unknown origin.

I just had a cunning plan. I picked up a spare cv yesterday. Just measured from the far end of the inner race to the face of the seal on the outer cv. got 290mm.
Hope this helps
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby xcilim » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Firstly guy's im unsure where you's got the idea that i got a cv from a 3.1 bighorn . I got it out of a 1990 big horn picture to follow . Ive replaced the front shocks and going to replace the rear shocks tomorrow. as my cv's i have lying around are all brocken im going to do a measure up the best i can just so you's can see . My bump stops are all there and all working fine so that can be dismissed as a problem .Bushpig says the inner cv housing is shiney i just wiped the grease out of the other side and my option on this is it's just clean and shiny not from bottoming out in there .Anyway how could the inner cv bottom out ? as it can only slide in and out .not up and down ?that shiny bit you can see inside the inner cv housing the the sharft from the diff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xcilim
Isuzu Baby

Postby BUSHPIG » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:47 pm

if the axle (the shaft the inner and outter cv connect to) is some how a later model one out of a 3.1 bighorn its longer than a 2.8 so when it slides into the inner cup(under suspension movement) itll bottom out in the bottom of the cup and put to much strain on outter as axle carnt move more like it would with the shorter 2.8 axle and BANG broken cv
BUSHPIG
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1988 GQ Safari
TD42 Turbo Running 17psi
Custom BRD Top Mount Intercooler
Custom BRD 3" Exhaust
Factory GU Turbo Airbox
Safari Snorkle
2000 Gu Td42-T Injector Pump
Turbo Injectors
Pto Winch
Custom BRD On-Board Air Bracket With Modified Second A/c Pump
Custom Front Bar Work
Ally Roof Cage
2 1/2" Suspension Lift
Front LSD
Rear LSD
33x12.5xr15 Maxxis Tyres
Diff And Gearbox Breathers
Am Cb
Uhf Cb
GPS Tracker.

Planed Mods::
Exo Cage
Rear Barwork
Rear 14,000lb Winch

Postby xcilim » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Ok cool thanks for that ill look into getting a couple of 2.8 mu shafts ive got a pretty good source for parts .
xcilim
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:43 pm

When they break what is that wheel doing? ie turned pushed up or let down into a hole?
The easiest way to break a cv is to spin the wheel while turning in a cross axle situation with that wheel fully dropped then have that wheel grab a rock or otherwise get traction. Also if you have a front locker you have to be more conservative on the loud peddle while turning but the locker removes the need to do this anyway. In saying that though cv breakages with 31 inch tyres are almost unheard of. Most breakages happen with 33 or larger tyres.
There has to be some reason you break so many cvs and hopefully we work it out soon
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm

That steering box leaking onto those bushes underneath it could be perished and throwing things out of alignment as well. just a thought thats a bad leak all over those rubber bushes in the sway arm causes a bit of movment could be wrong but you never know.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby chrisfnq » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm

have you had any more luck with your cv's or any news to update how you are going with it? hope you have fixed the problem... i only changed my cvs once in 9 years of having mine... so am suprised with your misfortune.
chrisfnq
Isuzu Junior

City: cairns
Vehicle: '91 2.8 td mu (deceased)
94 jackaroo lifted 50mm suspension, long range tank, bull bar, new turbo

Postby xcilim » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 pm

hi guys thanks for all your help i havent snaped a cv now since changing back to all genuine cv's.
xcilim
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:07 pm

another happy customer
I wonder if we can find out who makes the genuine cv joints for Isuzu. Its only a matter of time before the second hand ones run out and we dont want to pay the genuine new price. (new price is 1 1/2 Mus per side)
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Sakkie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:20 pm

geeves wrote:No not very unimpressed with aftermarket parts!
I would love to know who makes the originals as they are the only cv joints I trust.

Ditto South Africa. If you want to break a CV, and probably mess up your manual locking hubs as well, you buy a non-original CV. Over here the original is an NTN 95, tell-tale is that they are all painted green. They've even got that as a nickname. NTN 95 is stamped on the side of the CV. The only non-original CV that I'd put in my truck is a Lobro, and I'm still trying to source it. I participate in the Bridgestone Fundi Challenge in South Africa and after three events I'm currently heading the field.....with an Isuzu running on original CVs. Last year I ended a close 2nd.
http://www.bridgestone.co.za/content.asp?PageID=416

The problem you are experiencing is not with Isuzu....it's with your truck's setup.....AND FOR HEAVENS SAKE, DON'T FIT PIRATE CVs, they are just not strong enough.

Measure your upwards and downwards travel and compare it to another vehicle that doesn't break. If you find no problem there, have a look at the condition of the little needle bearing that the CV stub axle runs on where it goes into the hub. If that is okay, measure the angle of your wheels at full lock, it can be that your turning stops are adjusted beyond the capability of the CV.
Sakkie
Isuzu Baby

City: Heidelberg
Vehicle: 2005 3litre TD Double Cab
1999 2.8 TD Frontier

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm

all good advice
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MARKx4 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

Can you treat these cv's like you can on live axle front ends? I would like to do it to mine, this is what im talking about www.yuri4x4.com/cv_joints.php

Mark.
MARKx4
Isuzu Junior

City: sydney
Vehicle: 92 MU

Postby geeves » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Dont know.
If you go this way start with a new genuine joint. You dont want to use a worn one and have it start clicking through old age. Some Toyota joints have a similar mod from factory and I have been told the outer section of our joint is the same as the live axle hilux
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Previous

Return to Suspension