• Advertisement

Please corect me if i am wrong?

For all suspension modifications

Please corect me if i am wrong?

Postby Darko » Mon May 03, 2010 7:48 am

Been reading around the forum, and came to conclusion that for 2" suspension lift on a mu 97' i need to do:
1. change rear leaf springs with Lovells HR-15 or any other suitable from other isuzu swb trucks
2. crank up torsion bar at the front
3. do a balljoint flip and maybe trim the bump stop.
Do i need to do any other modification to the steering column, driveshaft etc..

Can some one tell me if know the price for the Lovells HR-15, or to tell me what other leaf springs can use on my 97' mu?

Thanks
Darko
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 97 3.1 TD

Re: Please corect me if i am wrong?

Postby Rusty92MU » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 am

im doin exactly the same to mine instead im keeping my original springs and just getting extended shakles off ebay or make some myself, im also winding up my torsion bars but im not doing a ball joint flip and i beleive thats all that is reqired
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

City: Albany
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu MU

Postby geeves » Mon May 03, 2010 9:58 am

Thats all my truck got except you will need a wheel alignments done afterwards. You might get away without the ball joint flip but it does improve wheel travel and allows more adjustment on the wheel alignment
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby dasnoboarder » Mon May 03, 2010 4:17 pm

Driveshaft are sometimes fine with 2" lifted springs - like Lovells HR-15's.
Otherwise you might have to play with the angles with spring wedges (change angle of rear diff head), or lowering the gearbox crossmember.

Steering column isn't affected with suspension lift.
Check your lines... (Only line I've had to extend on my truck was a fuel line to filter when I did the 2" body lift).

I think I paid around $350NZ for a pair of HR15's.

Should also replace the U-bolts, and you'll need new bushes as well (got my bushes from Repco).

Andy
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby geeves » Mon May 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Good point. Chances are that your U bolts will be rusty and should be replaced. If they look ok and the nuts come off ok though no need to change. You only need longer U bolts if fitting a heavy duty spring but this is never needed on the Mu.
Re bushes get rubber if you can and replace the bolts if they are pitted. If you have to replace the bolts you can fit poly bushes and greasable pins. If you fit poly bushes on non greasable springs the squeaking will drive you mad. Rubber still works a little better though
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Darko » Tue May 04, 2010 6:29 am

Thanks guys, now i need to save up some money for the springs. at the moment i am trying to get intercooler and some manual hubs. What are your expirinces with AVM? any good?

Where should i look for the springs,local suspension shop or somewhere else? google serch doesnt show any place where to buy them.
Re bushes, were changed last year, didnt pas WOF, so they are newish. do i still need to change them?
Darko
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: Isuzu MU 97 3.1 TD

Postby dasnoboarder » Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Lovells site gives NZ dealer:

P&H Suspension City
11 Haig St
Hamilton NZ

This is where I got mine.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby geeves » Tue May 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Its wise to change them but if they are good and you can get them out they should be ok.
I thought AVM were ok but just found out that the ORC ones I have spoken so unkindly of were AVM. 3 trips 3 broken before leaving the car park. Get some second hand Assin ones from a wrecker. They will cost the same but last lots longer
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Drurban » Thu May 20, 2010 3:56 pm

When I did my 75mm lift, I had to extend the streering shaft but with a 2" lift you wont have to do that as there will be some adjustment. I did not do a ball joint flip I dont know what that does anyway.
Drurban
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Mu 3.1L Turbo Diesel, Manual

Return to Suspension