• Advertisement

The perfect setup, for me...

For all suspension modifications

The perfect setup, for me...

Postby rcolijn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:22 pm

I did read a lot allready but everybody is different.

I am looking at getting the MU a bit better, have some spare cash so am looking for some advice:

- She is my main daily driver
- I do 4wd almost every weekend, wide variety of terrain (last weekend beach this weeknd bush)
- I dont carry much weight (have rear seats removed and travel light (one esky and 2 crates, tahst it)
- Dont have a bullbar and if I get one it'll be aluminium
- Have towbar but use sparingly.

So I am looking for the ultimate setup for a comfortable ride and extra flex, so here is what I have been thinking (and is recomended):

- Rear new leafs, 2 inch lift but remove a leaf or two (or keep present sagging ones and add airbags)
- Front simply crank up but not more than 2 inch (or maybe even leave standard)
- Some good shocks which are adjustable (rancho's again?)

Anybody any idea / suggestion / advice?
Pedders gave me a quote for 2 grand :shock:

Help appreciated!
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

City: Perth
Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Re: The perfect setup, for me...

Postby pig75 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:02 pm

I have standard suspension. extended shackles 2" body lift 33" tyres for weekends 31" for week days
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby rcolijn » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks pig, which shocks are you using? I am not sure what the body lift does? Is it simply more space for the 33"? Did you notice more body roll / different handling when you installed them?

Sorry to ask soo much questions but I haven't considered body lift yet.

I assume you wound up the torsion bars 2"?
Is it a much harder ride after that?
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 am

Winding torsion bars does not affect ride unless you are hitting the bump stops.
Not sure about ali bull bars they are easier to damage and harder to fix
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby pig75 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:35 am

rcolijn wrote:Thanks pig, which shocks are you using? I am not sure what the body lift does? Is it simply more space for the 33"? Did you notice more body roll / different handling when you installed them?

Sorry to ask soo much questions but I haven't considered body lift yet.

I assume you wound up the torsion bars 2"?
Is it a much harder ride after that?

Standard shocks front Gabriel shocks on the back (cheap) have not touched the torsion bars. The extended shackles were to bring the hight back too standard.(sagged springs) The body lift was to fit the 33"
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby rcolijn » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:48 pm

Ok, I think I have made the decision:

- All round new shocks, adjustable ones, maybe with in car adjustment if not too expensive
- New rear spings as the are really sagged, probably standard ones or 2 inch and take one or two leaves out
- Extended shackles
- Body lift (as I would like 33's as a second set for when I go bush).
- Replace a load of rubbers
- Probably need 2 degrees camber adjustment?
- New wheel alignment
- Adjust torsion bar by 1.5 maybe 2 inch

Body lift gives me more clearance for 33's and less lickely to damage, suspension lift gives me more flex.
Sounds like a fair compromise for daily driver and bush basher?
How does that sound?
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 am

I got my 33's on without a body lift they scrubbed a little but once i did the body lift i had no problems at all .
Do you do much highway driving because i prefer to run my 33's muddys over the 31" cooper st's just because
the revs are a little lower with teh 33's on when doing 110k's my truck seems to like it a bit better.
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby turnturn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:14 pm

Be aware that cranking the torsion bars up can actually reduce wheel travel (flex) if you go too far.
When adjusting these be sure that you can still get the full travel of the suspension (to the bump stops, compression and extension).
When I first got one of my Mu's it had been raised this way (more ground clearance) but had lost some suspension travel (flex) as it wouldn't hit the compression (upward travel of the wheel) bump stop.
I ended up lowering it a bit to get back the articulation (at the cost of ground clearance).
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby djt77 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:34 pm

I really wish I knew what you guys were going on about, my poor MU she's getting nothing :(
djt77
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: Isuzu MU

Postby rcolijn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:43 am

Thanks guys, I had heaps of quotes in from suppliers and will have to go through them. One supplier recoemnded the Calmini set 3". I checked them out and the set is pretty comprehensive for US 950. I send them an email for shipping cost, which will probably hurt :)

I did learn the extended shackles are illegal apparently, and that Dobinson leaf springs are 700, ouch.

Ah well more research to come.

Anynone experience with the Calmini kit?
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Calmini uses a shackle lift and extra leaf for the rear end which is not the best way to go. Also the replacement torrsion bars on the front are not required. Otherwise a good kit. Get the front a arms and full set of shocks. Buy rear springs localy ie ironman efs or lovels. and you have an ideal setup
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rcolijn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:44 am

Workin on it, have send some quote requests arround and am awaiting what they come back with.

Most lickely I'll do the shocks myself but I have never done the leaf spring replacement, is that tricky?

Somebody at work was talking about linining them up?
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Return to Suspension