• Advertisement

Longer shocks, longer shackles

For all suspension modifications

Longer shocks, longer shackles

Postby lewis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Hey guys,

So im finishing up uni this year and am going to have money next year, I want to get into offroading more than I have i.e a properly setup truck. The chassis on the 87 bighorn is becoming a bit of a patchwork quilt with weld up jobs, likewise the body becoming full of bog. However even after 340km on the clock it still runs bloody good. Its been in the family since 94 and used to get used on the beach which must have led to the rust over the years.
Im looking at a 92 3.1 bighorn which has had a 50mm body lift (bumpers adjusted too) and 50mm lift springs put in the rear, and the front wound up. No ball joint flip so from what i read that would be on the list of things to do.
Now the first question I have is should longer shocks have been put in? Because he has just left the standard ones in there. Will I get the most out of it as is?
As for if the vehicle is worth it, i expect a set of springs would be less than $400, and if new shocks arent required then lifting one of these 50mm is pretty cheap really. I see 50mm body lift kits on trademe for $160 too. The truck has 33" AT's on it (poser truck heh), would need mudders for me. The truck looks mint and fully serviced, just run in at 170km, and its an auto but then hey lots of ppl seem to like them offroad, and supposedly they are easier on CVs right...
Im reasonably mechanically minded and keen but dont know how easy it will be to do the stuff myself.
If I was to keep the old 87, how much would I be looking at to lift the rear 50mm? Im a bit reluctant to modify it though because if im winching or being pulled out the chassis is likely to snap in half haha, however its my cheapest option
Are extended shackles sold or do you need to know someone with a machine shop? Or is it better to add a leaf?
As for flex however my experience is that the coil sprung rears on bighorns flex a lot better.
Neither trucks have LSDs in the rear and damn lockers are expensive, but i think thats an investment id have to make (or hunt for LSDs at wreckers, if they are comparably cheap)

Sorry about the thesis haha and thanks in advance
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Re: Longer shocks, longer shackles

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Shocks should be ok at 50mm lift but to check unbolt one and jack the chassis up. If you run out of spring before the shock becomes too short. Either spring becomes loose or stops dropping) its ok.
Any engineer could make a shakle. Just make sure its 10mm by 50 bar and has a cross brace. If its road going expect to be pinged for certification at 400
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Do most guys install longer shocks with a 50mm lift?
Know of the cost of shackles anyone has got made up?
I guess some sort of drawing with dimensions would be required too.
Yeah, cert seems to be 350, was expecting that.
Cheers
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby lewis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 pm

After a bit of trawling through the forum i found this:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=67&hilit=shackle and this
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=86&p=318&hilit=shackle#p318
Could someone please verify that for a 2" lift 200mm is the distance between the centre of the bolt holes? That looks like the only dimenson that I would need that I wouldnt be able to get off the standard ones.
If i was going to keep the 87 I would be a cheap ass, and I expect getting shackles made up is going to be cheaper than $360 springs (looking at 4wdbits.co.nz)
They have shackles on there but only standard length it seems
Keen to hear if/where/price anyone has had some made up in the Auckland area.

Cheers
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:43 pm

True. Standard shackle is 100mm and a 2 inch lift is about 50mm You are only changing one end of the spring so half the hight of the shackle increase is lost as the diff is half way along the spring.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension