• Advertisement

Front Sway Bar Disconect

For all suspension modifications

Front Sway Bar Disconect

Postby suza2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Due to a missing bump stop issue I broke another tie rod on Wenessday so after putting in the spare tie rod I took ther front sway bar right out as that was what the tie rod was hitting. This improved my articulation so I am have been thinking of putting a discontect in. Then I started thinking if it was possible to put a discontect system like what is on the back into the front so that I can just switch it on and off like I currntly do for the back without having to get under the truck
Has anyone done this?
suza2
Isuzu Baby

City: St Arnaud
Vehicle: 1992 Bighorn, 3.1 TD 4jg2, 75mm suspension lift

Re: Front Sway Bar Disconect

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Never looked at the rear setup.Its not that common. I think only the Lotus models have it. If it works on the watts linkage it should be possible.
I tried a disconnect for a while but found I never put it back in after a muddy trip and in the end it stayed out. Now it only gets connected on Wof days. I have the earlier leaf sprung rear and the difference in body roll is hardy noticeable
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby suza2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Cheers for that Geeves, when we go away (just got back from 3 days down the west coast we have 1 - 200kg of gear on the roof so the body roll is noticable with it connected and not flash with it not. In cockeye creek the rear sway bar link on the fixed side came apart and the body roll with neather and all the gear was a tad scary
suza2
Isuzu Baby

Postby oompalompa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:17 pm

dont know if breaking tie rod is common or not ( never heard of it ) but in your profile you talk bout a 75mm suspension lift.

reckamend you drop that back and do a body lift, even if only 25mm body lift.

is that right geeves, 50mm ok .. 75mm suspension lift in the front is bad i thought, to far??

can you do disconects on the 92 bighorn, is it the same on the 95 non lotus?
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby suza2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:13 am

The lift isn't the problem (it's just hard on CVs so you drive with this in mind). I have lost a bump stoip so the suspension is travelling to far. Of to repco today to order a new bump stop and a spare tie rod as my spare is in use and then off to book another wheel alanignment
suza2
Isuzu Baby

Postby suza2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:17 am

I should also say that not all of my front lift is from winding up the torsion bars some of it comes from spacers that go in between the arms and the ball joints
suza2
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Too much lift will cause bump steer which might bend tie rods but its more likely you are too hard on it. There are aftermarket kits to strengthen tie rods you can copy but then something else breaks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:24 pm

geeves do you just unbolt the two ends of the front sway bar or take it off completely?
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:12 am

Take the top nut and bushes off both sides. Push the bar up out of the way then put the nuts and bushes back on. The bar does rattle but not much compaired to some of the other noises in my wagon. You might loose a little travel my way but at least you can find the parts when you need them. Fitting or unfitting takes about 10 min
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 am

Yeah sounds better than removing the rusty bolts from the stone guard each wof to remove entire thing. Have considered leaving the front section of the stone guard off, but then the rear part that protects the sump from rocks hangs down and I would have to make another mount for it somehow.
Cheers
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Return to Suspension