• Advertisement

leaf springs

For all suspension modifications

leaf springs

Postby andrewward » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 pm

my rear leaf springs are a bit too stiff, is there a way how I might soften the ride at the rear ? I have read some where here some people have removed a leaf or some leafs ,is that good ? and elsewhere some have replaced the rear shocks with coilovers and left only the main spring .
can you tell me which is the best way to do this ?
andrewward
Isuzu Senior

City: Santa Venera
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 91, 2.8 TD

Re: leaf springs

Postby haven » Fri May 06, 2011 10:05 pm

replacing the rear shock with a coilover is an interesting concept. dont really see the benefit for how much it would cost to get a coilover or modify the brackets to hold a strut to the axle...

if the rear leafs are too stiff you can have them reset or leafs removed or replaced for less high tension leaves...

it is simple enough but i'd recommend just ripping them out and sending them down to a spring place to do it for you.. often leaves are compressed into their bunch and a bolt running through the middle holds them in place. if you seperate them yourself you may not be able to get them all bolted back together without great difficulty.

last time i send leaves down to get reset and an extra heavy duty leaf added for work it was around the 200 mark, juts to give you an idea. so removing leaves would be much cheaper....
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Return to Suspension