• Advertisement

sway bar

For all suspension modifications

sway bar

Postby scruff123 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:05 pm

im sick of bolting in and out my sway bar every wof, tried to get a wof without it and picked it up strait away even tho the back ones been off for about 3 wofs with the same guy and he never noticed.

If i take out one of the links of the front sway bar, wen it flexes will the disconected end be able to hit any of the A arm or shock etc???

cheers
scruff123
Isuzu Guru

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 standard bighorn 3.1 diesel, mitsubishi pajero 3ltr v6 swb on 36's

Re: sway bar

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Yours is a little different but on my 89 bighorn I unbolt the top nut and remove bushes both sides push the bar up out of the wat then put the bushes and nuts back on the link. No problems finding the parts on Wof day just undo the 2 nuts and remove top bush pull bar back onto link replace bushes and nuts.
Its annoying when they pick you up on this stuff especially as they know that even when it is back in place its only to keep them happy. I had one Wof where I forgot to connect it. Went back to pick up the truck and said to mechanic I know about the tie rod end and wheel bearing was there anything else. He said I passed the tie rod but it will need doing next time. Couldnt find anything wrong with the bearing (it seized 2 weeks later) but you need to reconnect your sway bar. I have heard the opposite though where mechanic demanded the cruiser came in on its normal tyres not its legal tyres as he couldnt get it to move off without lighting the tyres. 400kw in FJ40 on 235/80/16s tends to do that.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby scruff123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm

went out the other day and found it just hits the tie rod on full flex, bugger
scruff123
Isuzu Guru

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 standard bighorn 3.1 diesel, mitsubishi pajero 3ltr v6 swb on 36's

Postby geeves » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:37 pm

What if you push it up so its against the body?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby suza2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:09 pm

scruff123 wrote:went out the other day and found it just hits the tie rod on full flex, bugger

I found that it was my sway bar that was breaking the tie rods for this reason so I just spend the 5mins each way putting it in and taking it out
suza2
Isuzu Baby

City: St Arnaud
Vehicle: 1992 Bighorn, 3.1 TD 4jg2, 75mm suspension lift

Return to Suspension