• Advertisement

Extended shackle dimensions

For all suspension modifications

Extended shackle dimensions

Postby Smiley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Can someone please give me the dimensions i would need to give someone to make me some shackles to lift my 96 mu 2'' thanks
Smiley
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 96' 3.1TD Isuzu MU, 2" Suspension & body lift, 33" maxxis bighorns on 16's, Snorkel, bonnet scoop, rear tow hook

Re: Extended shackle dimensions

Postby muzila » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Bump!

I would like the dimensions as well please. I know that 200mm long will lift 2 inchs. I just need the width for welding the middle brace in and the size for the holes to be drilled please.

Thanks.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

those measurements can be calculated from your current shackles. Measure the current gap between the 2 sides and measure the hole in your new bushes Use this for a metal sleeve then measure the hole in the sleeve for the bolts. The current gap is the size of the brace and sleeve length.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

also make sure you makes them strong cert people are getting anti about them, had to remove mine for cert guy to inspect and take photos, they arnt legal without a cert
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Replacement springs are in my opinion the best way to go. My Lovells have been magic
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:39 pm

yes replacement leaves are good but most of us cannot afford them or cant get the correct height, my shackles were just time no money spent even any lifted spring needs cert now as of the rule book
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 pm

My bighorn is certed and the springs were tagged on the cert then My wizard appears to have raised springs and has never been questioned. If it comes to the question that is how I bought it and arnt they all like that. There are no markings on the spring to say what it is
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:32 pm

yea the rules are getting stupid now like ive said i do wofs everyday and use common sense when doing them, and everyone including me are painting new springs black, mate has 3 inch lifted coils and 2 inch body lift in his surf all new shocks etc painted black looks facory other than its tall on 35 inch tyres
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Had to take my work Mondeo into VTNZ for a wof (wof was due and work was quiet vtnz no need to book. It normaly goes to the franchise dealer) He got all snotty about not being able to check the rear seat belts. This is a work wagon with a cage in the back blocking the seats and lots of gear. I was just about to start unloading it in his driveway thus blocking his flow of cars when he saw it my way. He still noted it on the form so I can see it being an issue next wof. My options are remove the seatbelts and technicaly weld up the holes which isnt going to happen.
He is rigth as the seat and belts are there so should be tested but they aint going to be used any time soon.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzumu4wd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:49 pm

hi thea i have a 1992 isuzu mu and was wondering in i put longer shackels in to lift it 2inchs and wind up my torsion bars will it put to much strain on my front cvs?? also the shackels in looking at buying are a 80mm lift is that sweet?? also does any1 have shackels for sale in auckland for a 1992 isuzu mu
isuzumu4wd
Isuzu Baby

City: auckland
Vehicle: 1992 black isuzu mu

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 pm

80 mm lift by shackle means you are looking at shackles that are 260mm long They are long shackles. A shackle lifts the car half of the extra length.
A thing to think about also is that a 50mm lift by shackle is your current hight plus 50 Your springs may of sagged by 50 mm so you get standard. 50 mm by replacement spring is over factory. My wagon went up 85mm when the 50mm lift was put in
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension