• Advertisement

A request for info from the NZ4WD Association

For all suspension modifications

A request for info from the NZ4WD Association

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:21 pm

This info is going to affect the rules that are in the pipeline regarding vehicle lifts. If they dont get enough data we risk having all lifts banned (not even certifiable) The intended outcome is a maximum lift beyond which you wont get certified without a very good reason ie competition vehicle. The certifiers have been worried about the size of some lifts. Hopefuly the final number will still allow a total lift of say 300 mm ie 100mm suspension 100mm tyre and 100mm body but I suspect the final numbers will be less than that

IMG_5386 arrows.jpg
4x4 community help needed for vehicle data

Post by Peter Vahry on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:01 pm
The NZFWDA Technical review panel submitted a proposal to the LVVTA to establish the basis of the process for determining the suspension lift of a modified 4x4.
Having consulted with NZTA, they requested that a measurement be made available for each ‘standard’ model of four wheel drive vehicles on NZ roads.

The measure points are to be easily achieved and will be a front and rear axle vertical measurement from axle centre, to the bottom of OE guard, as in the attached photo

A database is being established and figures for each vehicle model entered. If more than one set of measurements are provided from different sources for a same model, they will be averaged (large variations may be questioned). It is recognised that age and wear will affect suspension height, as will any load in the vehicle.
The model and year can be identified from the registration label.

It would be appreciated if NZFWDA members could assist with this measurement process, so the numbers are available to provide the requested data.
Please email measurements to access@nzfwda.org in the following format
Vehicle make
Model and year
Front
Rear

This is a big task and in some cases finding a ‘standard’ version of some brands might be difficult but we need to try.

Regards
Peter Vahry
TRP chairman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: A request for info from the NZ4WD Association

Postby dasnoboarder » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:28 pm

So if we've already got certified lifts, they don't want any data from us?
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby mudslinger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 pm

there is a huge shit storm on offroad express regarding this. basically what the nzfwda is proposing that any lift bigger than 100mm cant be cerified or the vehicle given a wof unless the person belongs to the nzfwda and can produce a card stating they are part of a club affiliated with them. the person has had to belong to the club for at least a year before they get there card. regardless if you have been wheeling for years or not. down here in the mainland there is no club affiliated i believe with them. can post link if ya like?
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 91 mu 2.8TD manual

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:00 pm

100mm is a rumour. The actual figure is not yet decided. Everything else though is true except that this is not being driven by the nz4wd association. The association is just trying to get the best deal it can. If the association had not stepped in the figure would of been a lot less than 100mm and no exemptions at all.
If a vehicle is already certified then it cant be touched unless it needs to be recerted.

A question for those that wonder why there needs to be a limit. A few years ago there was a Surf in Wellington with the plates HISURF. It came into the country on 39 inch tyres and had a very fancy 12 inch lift kit. The sills were level with my belly button. A friend in the tyre business refused to sell the owner 39s but did sell him 38s. He went out with CCVC for a while and every second trip he would blow a diff or cv. Or both. Was this vehicle really more capable than say my vehicle. I got out on the same trips plus a few more while he was either fixing it or saving up for parts. Was this lift justifiable for any reason other than to look good? The driver or vehicle never did non shiny trips and did not compete.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby oompalompa » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:32 pm

sounds to me like some people are trying to justify their jobs by making a problem where there isnt one. i think certifiaction should be enough be for a lift. perhaps if the cost of cert was less then more people would be willing to have the cert done in the first place.
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby mudslinger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:53 pm

its because muppets go out and buy high as trucks dont know how to drive them,roll them and injure themselves or others. thats why we are getting targeted. its the minority that kill it for the majority. it all comes down to education. dont know how many people i have seen at the waimak i there trucks on road tyres thinking they can go thru the deepest holes. i think there just needs to be more education for beginners and training days
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 91 mu 2.8TD manual

Postby dasnoboarder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 am

I agree with mudslinger on education for young/beginner 4-wheelers.

I started driving my MU when I was 15 (first car, now 21), when I wanted to get into off-roading, my Mum wouldn't let me go until I did a days safety & training course ( :oops: , but it was actually really informative and useful)

Now, my friends and I that go out to the beach, or to Woodhill forest, are probably some of the most responsible drivers there.
But we do come across heaps of young idiots thrashing their cars, driving badly/dangerously.

I would hate for all "young" people to be labelled as hoons ... just like the boy-racers I guess.

Cheers,
Andy
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:38 am

another option that was on the table was a separate licence for 4wds. Luckily that one didnt happen but I can see the logic
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby oompalompa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:17 pm

perhaps a separate licence for modifided vehicles?
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:05 pm

can you imagine the logistical nightmare that would cause. Try popping down to local garage for a wof then being told that as the mechanic with the licence isnt at work so couldnt do the wof
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby oompalompa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:03 am

sorry, i meant for the drivers.
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:12 am

so did I. Imagine taking your car to the garage for some work. Garage has noone there with a mod licence so cant test your car. Take it to the panel beater same problem. Go to a function where they valet park your car Same problem.
Also a licence for modded cars Would this be the same licence for driving a high horsepower lowered to the floor boy racer mobile and a lifted to the sky 4wd with minimal other mods.
Some regime to keep mods sensible for road going cars makes a lot of sense as long as they get the sums right. Get them wrong and it will be a joke with cars already modded beyond this point becoming very valuable
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension