• Advertisement

tortion bars

For all suspension modifications

tortion bars

Postby pringo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:07 pm

I've got my standard tortion bars cranked up to give me an 1nch and half lift to match my extended shackles. After giving it a flex test today you can see that the front end is not working all that well. Will aftermarket tortion bars such as rockcrawler and iron man give me lift as well as maintaining decent travel? Any one used these?

cheers.
pringo
Isuzu Baby

City: bundaberg
Vehicle: 1990 isuzu mu

Re: tortion bars

Postby Demonic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Once you crank them up you need to go for a drive to let them settle, then readjust. The standard bar should be okay for upto 2in lift
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby geeves » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Most aftermarket torsion bars are too stiff unless you have a lot of extra weight up front.
The torsion bar is just a spring and front travel is controled elsewhere.
If you look at the front end you will see 2 bump stops one large above the lower A arm and a smaller one under the upper A arm. At rest in factory trim the distance between the arm and stop is the same for both. When you lift a wagon the relationship changes so you end up with less drop and more up movement. But the killer is that the up movement is restricted by the spring so you effectively loose travel.
The Isuzu IFS is not known for good travel anyway.
Things that help
Trimming the upper bump stop or replacing with a urethane low profile bump stop.
Ball joint flip. This is where you remove the top ball joint and remount it under the arm instead of on top as it is now. This will require a wheel alignment afterwards and may cause issues at vehicle inspection time even though it is common and perfectly safe.
Sway bar removal or disconnects allow each wheel to move independent of the other giving huge gains in articulation but at the expense of ride quality and road handling.
You also increase the chance of a roll over slightly.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:59 am

If you want the travel then take the sway bar off, but as geeves said, be carefull of the body roll. I have about a 40mm lift in mine and cut both the top and bottom bump stops in half and the factory torsion bars work fine. If you do cut the bottom bump stops be warned that you may break cv's becuase of the extra travel you have gained.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby pringo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks for the reply's. I've already removed the sway bar, trimmed the bump stops and flipped the ball joints. It certainly changes the handling but I'm not concerned because i bought it to use as a weekend fun car. I guess I just have flex envy after 4wding with mates with patrols... lol. I'm installing lokka's next weekend and a body lift so i can run 33's, I guess I'll wait and see the improvements before rethinking my options.
pringo
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Only other thing that can make a difference is the shock absorbers. If they are too hard they restrict movement.
You will never have the flex of a patrol unless you do a sas which is big money and time but that doesnt mean you wont keep up with the patrol if you drive wisely.
You can get more flex out of the rear which is where fitting efs or lovels or ironman springs could help. Dont fit the heavy duty versions
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby pringo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Thanks for your help, I'll look into after market shocks and leafs. Do they make them specifically for the MU or do you just use the rodeo ones?
pringo
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Rodeo or jackeroo. If they are different try for a swb jackeroo 88 - 91.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby kingman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:44 am

Any of you guys run on Skyjacker shocks...Im thinking about ordering a set as i RUN a seet from calmini but they are tooo too soft have 2 much bounce at the front...any feed back is welcome..")
kingman
Isuzu Baby

City: st michael
Vehicle: Isuzu tfs rodeo

Postby mulover » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:50 pm

I'd recommend rancho RS9000's, they are fully adjustable. I have mine turned up pretty hard to stop the front end bouncing, as I have taken my sway bar off and have a winch. They are a little dearer, but they work really well and have settled my truck down heaps.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Ive heard of skyjacker shocks but as they dont make it down to Aus and NZ I cant supply any reviews.
Try google "skyjacker shock review"
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby kingman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks guys!! :)
kingman
Isuzu Baby

City: st michael
Vehicle: Isuzu tfs rodeo