• Advertisement

Rear Leafs

For all suspension modifications

Rear Leafs

Postby Demonic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Looking at doing a suspension lift using extra leafs. My question is - Once the leaf is removed and then new leafs added how do you reposition the axle back onto the leafs so that it is in the same place?

Is there some sort of locating pin on the axle that slots into the top leaf and a pin that slots into the plate with the u-bolts?
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Re: Rear Leafs

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:57 pm

There is a pin in the center of the leaf spring that locates it in the diff plate and the shackle plate. I have some spare springs here if you want a look. When the shakles come loose it doesnt take much to break the pin but it can be replaced with an 8 mm bolt but not a nice job especially as this bolt is all that holds the spring pack together
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Yeah, best I see what I am in for. thinking on adding 2 leafs, on the thought this will give me about an inch of lift.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 pm

If your looking at reseting some old leaves and adding them you can have the pair I have here but just adding leaves will reduce the articulation. The original spring pack has 3 leaves plus a short override. Aftermarket springs like mine have 5 leaves plus override but these leaves are much thinner giveing better flex.
I have seen one setup that worked though useing a mix of leaves from 2 sets which gave a lift plus increased flex. From memory he used the long main spring and either 2 center springs or 2 lower springs still haveing only 3 in each pack
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:18 pm

If its the same one we both thinking, it was suggested he took 2 leaves out, and added to bottom of stock stack after making them shorter.
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Its a (insert toyotas favourite word here) when your replacement set has a bigger head on the bolt than the original and you dont find out untill you are tring to refit the u bolts. I have heavy duty ones - unbranded through BNT at $495 a set bit stiff to begin with but settled in well
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Luckily the u bolts in the longer size are the same as landcruiser although you have to then cut about an inch off after fitting. Nice and easy to cut with a hacksaw while lying on your back under the car as they are 14mm high tensile steel. (didnt have an angle grinder then)
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension