• Advertisement

Airbag assisted suspension?

For all suspension modifications

Airbag assisted suspension?

Postby Plebz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey!

I regularly use my MU to haul around my dirtbike with a rack that looks similar to this http://www.motorcycle-rack.com/images/A ... p_500w.jpg

The rack weighs about 20kg and the bike about 110kg. As it sits a reasonable distance back from the car the weight is magnified somewhat and my 20 year old leaf springs cant cope.

As I would like to do a suspension lift at the same time I am thinking:

a) use existing leafs + extended shackles + fit airbags

b) buy new leafs + extended shackles + fit airbags

b) buy new leafs + fit airbags

c) buy new leafs

I have approximately 45 mm from the top of the diff to the bump stop thingo with the old leafs fitted with car unladen... Anyone know what that measurement should be with new leafs so I can work out how shagged my leafs are?

Anyone got any suggestions about the most cost effective way to sort this out without resorting to heavy duty springs as i don't want to compromise the ride when i am not carrying the bike as well?

I have done the rounds of the wreckers in adelaide, have fitted up a couple of other sets of second hand leaf springs and both of them were just as shagged as the ones currently on it... :cry:
Plebz
Isuzu Baby

City: Adelaide
Vehicle: 2.8l TD MU

Re: Airbag assisted suspension?

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm

first thought is that airbags would be the way to go but they do compromise travel so a helper bag with some form of disconect would be a good idea. Still need to change the springs though and Lovels used to make a hd 50mm lift spring for the Jackeroo that would work well for you. It has 5 thin leaves instead of the normal 3 but the 5th spring is only an overload and does nothing until a load comes on. With my wagon empty I still hit the overriders on a twisty road but put a load in and it hardly drops. These with a little help from airbags should be the ideal solution.
Also when you think of lift expect a lot more than stated on the spring. Currently your springs will have sagged so you get all that sag plus the lift. My 50mm lift took me up 95mm but 20 of that is gone again now.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Plebz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for the input Geeves!

You are going to have to excuse this noob question but whats the difference between airbags and a helper bag? My train of thought with the airbags was that I would be able to deflate them when not carrying the bike thus should get full travel? Guessing you have to leave some pressure in them so they dont pinch? Have not had anything to do with airbags before so not 100% sure how they will work in reality.

Those Lovels springs sound like a plan, will see if I can hunt some down.
Plebz
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:02 am

helpers are a type of airbag. They are used to assist existing springs rather than being the whole spring. They have a limited space to be fitted in and this limits the size of the bag so travel cant be allowed for. I have seen a rally truck running airbags very successfully but it was designed from the ground up for airbags. He has about 500mm travel at every wheel.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:15 pm

As a thought can you still get airshocks --the ones that you can ajust the air pressure in I used to have them in an old mitzi wagon and an hq ute
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Munroe still sell them and recomend them for people who carry heavy loads, might be another option new leafs and a set of air shocks
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby Plebz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 am

Spoke to a local 4x4 shop yesterday.

Pair of lifted (45mm) leaf springs to fit the mu = $330 in total (was interested in lifting it at the same time...)

He recommended not going the HD springs as it would make it 'jack' to much, but rather to run the new leafs and see how it handles the bike on the back. If the springs do need a bit of assistance he said the polyair adjustable airbags/helpers would be $200 for the pair.

Will enquire about the airshocks slightlydodgy, could be a fair bit less work than fitting up some helpers... Cheers for that!!!
Plebz
Isuzu Baby

Return to Suspension