• Advertisement

Calmini 3" kit any good?

For all suspension modifications

Calmini 3" kit any good?

Postby DIRTYMU » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi all I'm looking at getting rid of my 2" body lift and getting the calmini 3" amigo kit from the US just wondering if anyone has bought this kit or knows anyone who has and whether it's a good buy?
DIRTYMU
I'm only here for the information

City: brisbane
Vehicle: 1991 MU , 4jg2t conversion, 2" suspension 2" body lift

Re: Calmini 3" kit any good?

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Very expensive but the best way to get a reasonable lift out of the front. Do buy the top A arms. Dont buy any of the springs You choise on the shocks. You can modify your A arms for the same lift by a ball joint flip plus a 10mm spacer under the ball joint. I did consider cutting a spacer from old ball joints but it should really be tapered and would still nut be as strong as there custom made arm. At 3 inches also you will break cv joints unless you do a diff drop. All front torrsion bars are too stiff Stay factory and adjust to suit unless you have a lot of weight up front. Rear springs Callmini do an add a leaf plus long shackle Better to get new springs locally They work better than add a leaf.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby 98Rodeo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am

x2 on the upper control arms, pretty good for sorting out camber issues after you lift more than 2 inches as it returns to factory alignment and travel instead of reducing it, they have a low profile bump stop on them as well.

I wouldn't use the bushes that come with them unless you like replacing them every 6 months (not so much fun), the nolathane bushes for the standard arms fit, just need a press and some creativity as the arms will bend in a press if you don't support the side you are pressing.

Wouldn't buy the shocks, they are tiny and fade pretty quickly, for the money get some tough dogs or similar.
Ad a leaf will give you lift but that's about it, a lifted spring pack would be a much nicer ride.

also agree on keeping the factory torsion bars unless you have a heavy bullbar and dual batteries and a winch
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby bowhunter » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 am

I put the Calmini 3' lift kit on my frontier, just got the 3' shackels at the back, and the control arms in the front, put rancho 9 way shocks in and it is pretty good, for me.
bowhunter
Isuzu Baby

City: Alberton
Vehicle: Isuzu frontier KB280 1998

Return to Suspension