• Advertisement

Get Better Ride Comfort - UBS55 Bighorn

For all suspension modifications

Get Better Ride Comfort - UBS55 Bighorn

Postby gomulletgo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 am

Hi all,

I want to know if any of you have done anything to your UBS55 Isuzu Bighorns that has resulted in better ride comfort. I'm finding it a bit rough on the road, partly to do with the condition of the roads down here. I've got new shackle bushes in the rear leaves. I've messed around with tyre pressures with no luck.

Thanks in advance :D

gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Re: Get Better Ride Comfort - UBS55 Bighorn

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:59 pm

3 places to look
Shock absorbers. Generally too stiff or to soft and ride is bad but even those are going to be better than the 25 year old original shocks its likely to still be running. Buy the recommended model shock for your wagon from your favourite brand
Springs
Your wagon looks pretty much stock standard and very nice at that
The change I got changing from factory springs to Lovells replacements was overwhelming. They were the heavy duty option which is what you want as well and come in standard and 50mm raised hight. Your choice on this depending on use. What made them so great was that instead of 3 thick main leaves there was 5 thinner leaves which took care of all the minor road bumps
Wheel alignment
Starting with ride hight The a arm should be roughly in the middle of the 2 bump stops. If its been lifted a ball joint flip may restore this. Hitting bump stops will jar fillings out. Then get the toe camber and castor set correctly
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby gomulletgo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks for that Geeves,

That pic is just one I grabbed from the net that looks similar to my truck, I don't have a current pic of my truck. Mines running 16 inch alloys with tyres a bit under 31inch.

I'll check the shocks next time it's on the hoist to see if it's running originals. I don't have a favourite brand of shock, I've never purchased shocks before. How will I know if they are too stiff or soft? I've got a GoPro camera I could mount under the vehicle looking at the suspension then go for a 100kph drive if that would help.

Yeh I had wondered about some different leaves, I think the hilux guys use falcon ute leaf springs in the rear. Is there some cheap option out there that I could pick up from a wrecker that would give me 5 thinner leaves?

Usage is mainly on road 100kph, some city driving.

Wheel alignment seems ok at the moment, I did it a while back, all the tyres have uniform wear but it's a bit low on the center and outer edges, I don't know how to get it to wear the other bits.

The front IFS has been wound up a bit to help clear the 31"ish tyres. Do you think I'll need to ball joint flip for that? I guess a video of the IFS suspension will show me if I'm hitting the bump stops.

Thanks again for your help Geeves :D
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Postby geeves » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:31 pm

I've got a GoPro camera I could mount under the vehicle looking at the suspension then go for a 100kph drive if that would help.

1 day later that will be rephrased "I had a Gopro camera"

From memory my wagon with 31 inch tyres and 50mm lift was a fraction under 1 meter between the ground and top of the guard. I liked the ride in that bighorn as it was quite stiff even with the front sway bar off. It still felt quite secure on the road but rarely got long trips mainly due to the complete lack of carpet and soundproofing. The Wizard and the new bighorn have a much cruisier ride and probably corner as fast but it doesnt feel that way. These are all heavy trucks with enough steel in them to make 2 boy racer cars so there are definite limits to ride quality etc
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension