• Advertisement

Adjustable Panhard rod????

For all suspension modifications

Adjustable Panhard rod????

Postby varnz10 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi Guys

Just took my Bighorn in for a WOF, and have been told that the Panhard rod is to shourt for teh modifaction I have done to the Suspension.
About a year ago I bought a set of springs off one of the forum members I think that they were about a 2 - 2.5 inch lift for a Wizard or Mu, Anyway I had them on another vehicle until a cow decided to run in front of me on night :( :(
So I just put them in the new truck and they did appear to be taller than before, but the wheel offset was no worse than before. Now when I go to get the WOF I get told that I have to lengthen the panhard rod to correct the axle offset..!!!! Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks Paul
varnz10
Isuzu Baby

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 Bighorn LWB Lotus LTD 2.8 4JB1-T 2.??? Suspension lift
4.5 LSD in the back
Aussie Lokka for the front on the wish list
Snorkel
2000 Holden Montery All standard

Re: Adjustable Panhard rod????

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:22 pm

the panard rod holds the diff in the middle of the truck and helps with body roll so would effect the driving of the truck, you can buy adjustable ones but are costly
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:51 pm

I would imagine that fitting an adjustable panhard rod would be a good way to be sent to the lvvta certifiers. The suspension would have to be far higher than normal for it to have a measurable difference.
Unless the car is visually crabbing down the road with all the handling issues that go with it the wof guy isnt going to notice this. More likely the diff is off square due to a bent trailing arm.
Before going down that track I would be posting the hight from the hub centres to the guard for comparison to other trucks. (if you have a body lift we need to know how much) Also measure the offset to the car centre on both sides A wheel alignment printout might be easiest to see this.
Only other thing I can think of is that the springs are not seated correctly ie the end of the spring not in the step in the mount causing an extra 20mm hight
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby varnz10 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks Geeves

I had stuffed on of the springs that was not seated properly, but fixed that at the WOF place. I can see that the wheel on the left handside is about 5-10mm (eyeometer) further out than the other side. I had just replaced the left hand trailing atm as it was bent, this one was straight.
Just measured the distance, from center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch, 550mm approx. No body lift etc only the suspension lift. How does that compare?
varnz10
Isuzu Baby

4.5 LSD in the back
Snorkel

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:53 pm

both mine measure 520 and the panhard would only have 5 degrees angle on it. It would still be less than 10deg at 550 so I cant see where 5 to 10mm would come from.
Different offset wheels maybe?
worn panhard bushings?
bent chassis?
bent panhard or mount?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:53 pm

put the old springs in and see if it improves
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby varnz10 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:11 am

Thanks geeves

I have checked everything no bends that I can see. I had thought that maybe the body had moved as I had the body bolts undone, but from measuring the gaps between the body and teh chassis at the back that appears to be good.
I have managed to get a eccentric bush taht will give me about 7.5mm movement that is going in tonight so hopefully that solves the problem.

Having checked a couple of my friends bighorns they all have the same problem, although they have flares so perhaps it is hidden. I have flares to go on so that may be the end of it.
varnz10
Isuzu Baby

4.5 LSD in the back
Snorkel

Return to Suspension