• Advertisement

93 Mu leaf spring questions!

For all suspension modifications

Re: 93 Mu leaf spring questions!

Postby SamMu93 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:14 pm

My ironman springs arrived today, hope to get them in tomorrow!
Question about flipping the ball joints- do you need to add any spacers or is it just a case of flipping them will be enough? Ill be raising it 2" in the front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby isuzurob » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:24 pm

Putting them under the top arm helps but it will be sitting on the top bump stop at 2 inches in the front, well all of mine have, i cut the bump stops to 18mm but have also lowered the front diff so cv are straight
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:57 pm

my old bighorn had 50mm and it was fine with a straight flip. Should be the same suspension
Has yours got 3 or 4 bolts in the top joint.
My old one had 4
New one has 3 and the wheel alignment was way out after a lift of what should of been 50mm but I suspect a bit more. Found other issues at the same time but thats another story.
Spacers used to be available from usa but if im not mistaken you should be able to cut a ball joint mount into a spacer. Its suposed to be tappered though
Be careful lifting the front too far as it does put the cvs under more stress. I dont know why but despite identical suspensions Mus break far more cv joints
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:28 am

I have hit a snag and need some advice on these new leaf springs- the old ones are flatter so they are much easier to install- seems like the new ones would need to be compressed to fit in- the eye to eye lengths are the same ... What is the trick to get these in?- I would be pissed if they need extended shackes to fit these springs...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SamMu93 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:41 am

Looks like i would need extended shackles to fit this...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:41 pm

they do fit, put the front eye bolt in, need to pull back and down on the leaf with a tie down along with letting the truck down to match at the same time
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:41 pm

is that last pic with the front pin in?
If so I would be checking the numbers to make sure they are the right springs
What you might be able to do is make a wedge to fit inside the front mount so you can position the spring under tension Mount the spring at the back lift the axle till some weight goes on ause the wedge to line up the hole.
Its not meant to be that hard
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Also i had trouble with the hanger inverting because they were over vertical
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Yeah Geeves- that last pic is with the front bolt in, I was thinking of finding a block of the correct size to fit in there while loading it up... Might just get the shop to do it- will be taking it in for an alignment anyway. They can sort the lot!
Also noticed one more thing, the second top leaf on the new ones is longer and may need to be cut 10 or 20mm shorter. Ill put pics uo to show...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby nb422 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Its longer to provide more support to the main leaf and help prevent the usual sag in the rear mu's get, wouldn't recommend cutting it down.
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:02 pm

second pic is the new one with the second leaf cupping the top leaf.
first picture shows the origional leaf without this and with not alot of spare room for the new one and its longer second leaf...
Last edited by SamMu93 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:05 pm

I got the new leaf wedged in place on the front but could not quite get the holes lined up and get the bolt in- the second leaf got in the way...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby nb422 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:09 pm

I'm confused now, what did the second leaf get in the way of exactly? Its sounding like you have the wrong springs as even when you get those bolted in it looks as though the shackles will invert anyway?
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:19 pm

For the confused...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:26 pm

nb422 wrote:I'm confused now, what did the second leaf get in the way of exactly? Its sounding like you have the wrong springs as even when you get those bolted in it looks as though the shackles will invert anyway?

True, I gave the terraquip guys my engine model, truck year and the model- they didnt ask for anything else and seemed cofident that this one would fit- which was a heavy duty one they removed a leaf or two from as they did not have the "performance" one I wanted in stock.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:57 pm

I cut the second leaf on my springs as it hit on the same part of the chassis as yours in my rodeo and my bighorn, my second leaf wasnt as ugly as yours though, mine was tight against the hoop the bush fits in, i made my own set for my new truck and they are the only ones that have fitted properly
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:21 pm

isuzurob wrote:I cut the second leaf on my springs as it hit on the same part of the chassis as yours in my rodeo and my bighorn, my second leaf wasnt as ugly as yours though, mine was tight against the hoop the bush fits in, i made my own set for my new truck and they are the only ones that have fitted properly

Thats good to know! Annoying that its the case but Ill remove what will not fit- the part that Ill be removing would have never fit, it doesnt hug the top spring enough and its too wide...

Even if it did fit, the way it is, I really dont see how it could provide any support or benifit to the top leaf.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Its called military wrap but Ive never seen it on the front before. Once you have weight on it it will make sense but if its not fitting then you cant achieve this
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Called the suppliers at terraquip today, they described this part as a safety to hold the top leaf if it was to break off.
They did agree that it could have been done better (hugged the top leaf more) but informed me that if it does not fit, cut it to suit and they will note this on the warrantee- without voiding anything.
I would have to take some more measurments but Im not sure if this would have fit even with a perfect bend on the second leaf- remembering the terraquip leafs are thicker than the origional ones. It seems unlikely that they would fit.
So it will be cut- not much however- just what needs to come off and no more.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby SamMu93 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Bearing in mind the stock leafs (which are thinner) have no support around the top leaf and they have lasted 170xxx so far :?
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension