• Advertisement

too high?

For all suspension modifications

too high?

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:40 pm

the 94 swb bighorn was still a bit low with second hand lwb springs in the back so I splashed out and fitted extra raised cobra springs in the back. So far so good Fitting was a pain with chassis stand at max and the diff lowered till the brake disc was on the floor the springs still needed a fair helping of force to get into the mounts. Then look at the shocks and decide longer travel required so Monroe Ultra designed for landcruiser fitted after a mix and match on the bushes. These are short enough to allow the axle to hit the bump stop and as long as can be fitted while keeping the spring on the seat with sway bar removed. 10mm longer and the spring starts to lift off the seat.
Up front I got most of the lift matched but decided the cvs and tie rods were getting a little off angle.
Ended up with a measurement on the back of 580mm from the hub center to the guard and at the front 540mm This is with no body lift. On 32s I have 400mm under the sills
Now alls fine and dandy till I took it for a drive. With the rims I have on now its always been a bit bouncy as they have too much offset. I have new rims and tyres that ran very nice before the lift and might end up on there sooner but I was hopeing to wear these out first. I havnt done a wheel alignment yet and there is evidence its needed. A straight edge seemed to show toe as correct but a spirit level did show camber issues. The tread on the front tyres got hot on a 8km motorway drive so I suspect there is slight scuffing going on
However the amount of bump steer and vibrations is something else. At certain power and speed combinations there is a huge buzz in the back change power slightly either way it stops You can feel the tyres bumping on turns. Hit a bump with one wheel and you wander all over the place
If Im too high in the front I want to get that sorted before the alignment
Thoughts anyone?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: too high?

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:37 am

If your alignment is out, it will change behavior when you hit bumps, corner, brake and accelerate, so oyu really need to sort the alignment

The vibrations sound like drive shaft U/Js. When they wear they often resonate and certain RPM's rather than all the time. Is it also possible you have changed the pinion angle to much?
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:22 pm

ok the magic question is how far have others lifted there swb bighorns?
The 540 measurement is from the hub center to guard with no body lift. If this is too much I would rather get this right before the alignment due to the cost of a full monty alignment
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:56 pm

if its sitting on the top bump stops its to high other than that it will be fine, which will cause the hard riding and bump steer, i have just got a swb 2.8 bighorn that is now 610mm from hub to gaurd front and 620mm in rear with 50mm body lift, had wheel alignment today and only thing out was the toe but it dorve mint before alignment, every truck is differnt, also how are your shocks in the front?
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Front end on the 94 isnt much different to the 89 except smaller cvs so your advise is pretty much what I wanted as the body lift not there would mean 570.
Shocks/springs in the front are factory so hd shocks might be on the shopping list which should stop the lurching somewhat If not stiffer torsions to counter the winch.
Looking at it and driving Im sure a few shims will be added. A straight edge ( 3 metre scaffolding pipe) set against both front tyres was parallel to the sills on both sides so the toe isnt far out. The tyres heat up on the outside not inside which matches with a long level put on the side of the tyre suggesting the bottom is tucked in. Can never get my head round positive and negative camber but thats for the wheel alignment guys.
There is a young guy into 4wds at Tonys Porirua thats quoted me $89 for a alignment including shims and after filling out the survey after a free puncture I received a $10 voucher so it will be done as soon as the Wizard is back on the road.
I wish I had the widetrack version but thats life
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby nb422 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm

I had the exact bumpsteer issue you're describing and my caster was out by nearly 2 degrees, be worth getting the alignment done and seeing where everythings at
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby MrRevhead » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Positive camber is what you have geeves, the top further out then the bottom: \ /
Negative is this: / \
With massive positive camber and the suspension lift you will be getting huge changes in toe as the suspension moves through it's range, that's what will be causing the bump steer and weird steering.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:02 am

thanks
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:12 pm

wheel alignment with a very slight additional neg camber and I can drive down the road again without ducking and diving everywhere. Might still need stiffer shocks in the front though as it still wallows a bit. Also have ordered a 100mm longer brake line for the rear diff.
Then its just the vibrations. This isnt severe or at least wouldnt be except for the harmonincs of the plastic panels Probably fix 90% with blobs of bluetac in strategic spots. Other 10% will be rubberising all my tools and recovery gear
Tonys Tyres might not be everyones first choice for wheel alignments but the young guy at Porirua Tonys did a good job at a good price even if he does drive a Prado. Every free puncture hes done for me has been good as well.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby danz20 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:13 pm

what shocks did you use for the rear and what did they set you back keen to get some longer ones
danz20
Isuzu Junior

City: auckland
Vehicle: 1996 swb bighorn 3.1 manual

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:31 am

monroe 15-1592 Intended listing was for a landcruiser
Cant remember the price but what with these and an extended break line this wasnt the cheap lift I was trying for
Do remember that at full extension the spring must be held in the seat by the shock so if your springs are not as long as mine these are still too long. These only just manage mine at full drop with the roll bar off
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby samk115 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Sorry to bump a month old post, but im currently looking at getting a bit more height out of my 94 SWB.

Im looking to go with 50mm lift rear springs, it already has aftermarket Monroe shocks in the back, im hoping they will be long enough, if not ill track something down. Do you think the springs you used would be higher than the 50mms?

Will wind up the torsions in the front and flip the ball joints for good measure. Convineantly i have a wheel alignment machine at work so no worries there :D

With this kind of lift is there any potential issues i need to worry about? Rear driveshaft angles should still be ok i hope? What about increased angles on the front CV's? Do they suffer badly from only 50mm lift?

Ill probably set up some sort of sway bar disconnect method or pull them off all together. Adventure season is right around the corner so it wont see much road use!
samk115
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 94 Bighorn 3.1TD SWB

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:48 am

As soon as you take the sway bars off you are on the road to certification. The measurements of what I ended up with are in the first post. I dont have a factory measurement. If your current shocks are long enough for the new springs they might not hold the current springs
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension