• Advertisement

FINALLY GOT RAISED LEAFS INSTALLED!

For all suspension modifications

Re: FINALLY GOT RAISED LEAFS INSTALLED!

Postby SamMu93 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Im also thinking that I might remove a leaf from the new springs, think I'll get the mechanic to do it, I dont have a flat area, or enough/ correct jacks...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:26 pm

10 turns later unwinding the drivers side torsion... Better! And level too! Not wedged hard against the upper bump stop anymore.

Next on the list of things to sort: tried LOW 4wd with hubs engaged... When you turn up a hill it feels like the handbrake is on... It was enough to stop me rolling back down the hill with no brakes on in neutral!
Im not sure but think this might have something to do with the cv angles?? Since it only happens in 4wd mode....???

It is getting better tho day by day- at this rate it will be mint in no time! Just need to keep throwing money at it.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby turnturn » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Don't drive your Mu on hard surfaces (where the tyres cannot break traction or slip) in 4wd (high or low). Behind your gearbox is a transfer box (not a centre differential) that only transfers power 50:50 between the front and rear differentials via their respective drive shafts. When you are turning the vehicle the four wheels (more specifically the front and back pairs) are turning at different speeds/rpm. The transfer box does not like this different loading.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Ohh right, that makes sence.. First time I have had it bind up like that. Im sure I have use 4wd low on the road before and not had that effect... Anyway- noted :oops:
Btw, Do you own all the Mu's in Dunedin? Haha just need a 1995 for a full set.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Mechanic next door had a Mazda bounty 4wd delivered with a broken gearbox. Tow truck dropped it o the road and we tried to push it down the drive Same result when we turned it. Owners kids had been playing with the free wheels and it was stuck in 4wd.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:32 pm

Does it drive/handle better now? I drive mine on tarsel/cobbles in low 4wd and turn, and i have lockers front and rear it binds up a tiny bit but its fine, high 4 was designed for tarsel in winter conditions also
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Hey Rob, Yeah its better, was quite a difference when I wound down the drivers torsion.
With the angle on the Cvs- adding a ball joint spacer or dropping the front diff will achieve the same thing correct?
If so I will get a spacer added to the upper ball joints so that I can worry less about the CV's! ;)
Still thinking weather or not I will remove a leaf from the rear. It is pretty bloody solid back there... Might give it a week or two - let it settle and see how it goes.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby nb422 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Last edited by nb422 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:41 pm

For the diff drop, will this work for my Mu? :
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2300&p=21727&hilit=spacer+diff+drop#p21727

Looks straight forward enough, minimal parts needed aswell.
On a side note, managed to score a 2" body lift kit for $50 off trademe yesterday! Was not planing on doing this but maybe later on I will!
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:18 am

Should work but take note of the clearance issues and measure on your truck before making the spacers
I know the local hardware sells 10mm and 5mm thick washers in galv with the right hole
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Truck booked in to get a leaf removed from each rear spring tomorrow. Will be getting spacers made: 14mm thick and 10mm thick (use which ever ones dont cause clearance issues)- 4 of each size. 43mm diameter spacers.
Just need to get the bolt size and then im set. Think its a 14mm high tensile, will add 20mm give or take to new bolt.

After I wound the drivers torsion down in the weekend it now pulls to the right... So if that was the mechanics fault for winding it too high then going for an alignment, then that was an alignment down the drain...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 pm

If the mechanic did all the work and that was there level of competence they should redo that alignment for free
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Yeah, Im not overly impressed at that effort! Would be nice if they had said "sorry about that". Anyway I have an engineer from work making me some spacers- the only measurment I dont have is the bolt hole in the centre - looks like its 14mm maybe...
Hopefully with this leaf removed it will lower the back a little bit- which means I can lower the front, which will soften the front. The torsions at this current level have too much preload on them which gives a rock hard ride...
Someone didnt think they should get harder as you wind them up... Come take my truck for a drive!
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby turnturn » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:06 pm

It was me that said the spring rate shouldn't change with ride height and I still believe that. What does change however is the angles at which suspension components work when you raise your vehicle and that the bump stops start coming into play during normal movement. This makes your ride harsher, but its not the torsion bars fault.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby SamMu93 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Heh yeah well I disagree with the bump stops part of your comment, they dont hit now/ havnt yet! Still hard as hell suspension.
Not sure about your other note - the angles at which suspension components work when you raise your vehicle.
Either way, when I lower the front back down a tad the ride will improve - for whatever the reason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby isuzurob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:50 pm

The spacers for you diff shouldnt work as the diff brackets the hit the steering track rod, well it has on 3 of my trucks, you need to cut the plates and reweld them (fastest and easiest way) lowering the front diff makes the front axles straight again, i did 35mm drop on truck with 3 inch lift and axles were staight, my truck im building now got 25mm and 2 1/2 lift and diff couldve been lower, lowering diff just puts cv angles closer to factory
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby SamMu93 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:01 pm

isuzurob wrote:The spacers for you diff shouldnt work as the diff brackets the hit the steering track rod, well it has on 3 of my trucks, you need to cut the plates and reweld them (fastest and easiest way) lowering the front diff makes the front axles straight again, i did 35mm drop on truck with 3 inch lift and axles were staight, my truck im building now got 25mm and 2 1/2 lift and diff couldve been lower, lowering diff just puts cv angles closer to factory

Have you looked at this post? ---> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2300&p=21727&hilit=spacer+diff+drop#p21727
This chap got 14mm drop without hitting the "draglink', this could be what your referring to?

Also, im getting 4 spacers made that are 14mm thick + another 4 spacers at 10mm thick. Just in case the 14mm ones dont work on my truck.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby isuzurob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:27 pm

i cannot comment on doing it to a 3.1 chassis as the diff brackets and chassis are different to the 2.8 bighorns i have done, i have done 2 lwb 2.8 and 1 swb 2.8 diff drops, swb same chassis as 2.8 mu other than rear shock setup
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby SamMu93 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:42 pm

ok well thats good to know, will find out if the mechanic is prepared to modify the brackets. Would this type of thing usually require cert ?
Also when you did yours, did you need to make new brackets or just re position your old ones?
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby SamMu93 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 am

Is this what your talking about when you say modify the brackets?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension