• Advertisement

Longer Shackles - Longer shocks?

For all suspension modifications

Longer Shackles - Longer shocks?

Postby QtrainIsuzu » Fri May 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Im in the process of making up some 2" extended shackles for my beast.

I take it im gunna have to replace the rear shocks with some that will be able to handle the extra travel.

Suggestions on rear shocks? What is everyone else running?

Im looking for best value for $$$ shocks for my ubs55

Thanks team!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.....QTRAIN.....
QtrainIsuzu
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher R

4JG2 Conversion out of a 96 Mu ( certified)
5 speed Manual (2.8 gbox)
Relocated Xmember
Modified Tunnel
31/10.5/15 AllTerrain Tyres & 31/10.5/15 hankook Mud tyres
Full Recaro Interior
Solid Billet Aliminum Roof Racks (gutter mount)
Roof Cage
Roof Awning 3m X 3m
Custom mild steel Snorkle --> High flow Carbonfibre Inline Airfilter
CB Radio / Whip Attenna
2.5" Shackle Lift
Upper Ball joint Flip
Air Conditioning Has been Removed, Including Pump & Lines

Re: Longer Shackles - Longer shocks?

Postby geeves » Sun May 28, 2017 4:06 pm

2 inch shakles will lift your rear 1 inch. I think std shocks will be ok. You can test by unbolting the shock from the bottom then lifting the truck under the chassis till the wheel is off the ground. If the shock is not to short to go back on its ok
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 pm

As above the shackle has to be twice as long as the lift you want, 4inches longer than factory is a massive shackle and think the truck would sway around on them, also it will need to be re certed for shackles to be legal, shocks i run vb commodore shocks in the rear with homemade lifted springs and longer shackles
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:28 pm

out of curiosity... are extended shackles safe such as those from the link below? I was at a show today and a suspension company said they manufacture their lift to be suitable for std length shackles because extended shackles would bugger the suspension when they get hit off road thus making the vehicle unsafe... is this salesman blurb or an element of truth in there somewhere??

https://munji.com.au/collections/holden ... o-colorado
Flash
Isuzu Baby

City: Adelaide
Vehicle: tfr9

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:55 am

Those drop shakles are a road legal minefield. They must be locked on road. How well they work is a matter for much debate as well. The wheel cant drop untill there is no weight on it so handling isnt linear like normal suspension which takes getting used to. However you get normal ride hight plus good travel.
My take on extended shakles is each inch of lift requies 2 inches of shakel. That hangs down in the back getting caught on stuff and puts more leverage against its mounts. Ive never heard of a breakage but the risk is higher
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Suspension