• Advertisement

Do torsion bars loose spring over time?

For all suspension modifications

Do torsion bars loose spring over time?

Postby K1WIGUY » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:33 pm

Hello, I've got at 94 Mu that I have wound the factory torsion bars right up and puts 40mm lifted springs in the rear and extended shackles. In the past few months the I have noticed that the front looks like it has dropped and there is about 20mm difference from ground to guard from side to side. Is there a measurement that is standard for when wound right up? Would I be able to pull the bars out. Unwind the adjuster and then fit the bars back in? Or do I have to replace them? Where do you get them from? Any answers will be much appreciated. Cheers
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

City: Westport
Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Re: Do torsion bars loose spring over time?

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:26 pm

They do sag over time but are fully adjustable to compensate. There is a spline at the front end you can move round a few notches then readjust. Do this with the sway bar disconnected then reconect if desired
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby K1WIGUY » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi, thanks for your help. Another question, what difference does it make it you have the sway bar in or out? Thanks
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

City: Westport
Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Postby geeves » Tue May 01, 2018 2:46 pm

For adjusting front suspension height it fights the springs as to trys to level the car. The result can end up being a level car that has a softer ride on one side than the other along with all the handling anomalies that can bring. Ive heard of one bighorn where the car was dead flat but disconecting the sway bar resulted in a 2 inch difference between left and right. It went round right hand corners fine but just about had to stop for every left hand corner.
Day to day running is more complex. The sway bars sole job is to reduce body roll. It does this by transfering some spring force from one side of the car to the other. This restricts the wheel travel difference between both sides. On road this is very desirable especially in a high vehicle like ours. However off road you want every bit of wheel travel you can get so anything that prevents both wheels doing their own thing is bad
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:37 am

Heres a price indication from when I was playing with my torsions.
You can only raise the front so far before they start hitting the upper bump stop which feels like you have no suspension at all!

“Hey, Sorry for the delay in responce, we are getting busier every day,
As the Mu is not a big vehicle in Aussie Dobinsons dont have much info on it,
We know these leaves will fit and are a 30mm lift on a LWB with 100Kg constant load (Jackaroo)
I have talked to the guys in Aussie and they have said it will give you a 50mm lift in the SWB (MU) with 100kg constant load, (with 300Kg constant load will be like a 35mm lift rougly)
They are a 4+2 Leave and are made to OE spec so will be a comfy ride,

Rear Shocks are $160 each
Front Shocks are also $160 each
Front Torsion Bars are $450 for both

Any more questions please feel free to contact us
Thanks
Kerry
Trundles Automotive Limited
Address: 159 Gill Street, New Plymouth
Postal address: P O Box 838, Taranaki Mail Centre, New Plymouth 4340
Ph: 06 7527 952
Cell: 027 7527952
Email: trundlesautomotive@outlook.co.nz

Happy with how my Mu is now- cost me an arm and a leg to get it all sorted to a lifted yet comphy level.
Your front suspension also gets harder as you wind it up- despite what those who havnt done the mod say.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Return to Suspension