• Advertisement

Front Recovery Hook

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Front Recovery Hook

Postby Demonic » Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 pm

What have people done for a front recovery hook? I have a stock(ish) Mu, but cant figure out were to put my front recovery hook, I'm not gonna go out and by a $1500 bullbar just so i can mount one, so what can be done in the front? Please include pics as this may end up in the DIY or FAQ.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Re: Front Recovery Hook

Postby geeves » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am

If we get some solid mount pics that dont require major engineering Ill add to the faq
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Fri May 22, 2009 7:35 pm

If you are buying a bull bar be sure to mount the hooks as close to the mounts of the bull bar as possible. the further away you put the hooks, the more strain is placed on everything when the load comes on.

Unfortunitly this is a very common problem on most vechiles and is sometimes very difficult to solve. I removed the sides of my front body mounts and welded 12mm plate on that also goes back to the chassis on an angle. I drilled and tapped 3 M12 holes in to it which my winch bar and hooks are both mounted to using the same holes. Not every one can do this them selfs and technically its supposed to be certified......
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Talk to Daisy. Hes in the trade and has seen first hand what happens when a hook mount fails. He should be able to do something solid
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 pm

If you wanted to spend the money, you could weld a 12-16mm plate along the side of the front body mounts, and bend it back and weld it to a compensating plate onto the chassis. then drill and tap M12 holes to suit the hooks. This is what i did to mount my hooks and winch bar and works really well. Down side is technically you would have to get a ticketed welder to do the work and then get it certified. I have the welding ticket, haven't got it certifed, but haven't been pulled up at wof time yet.
mulover
Isuzu Master

Postby Demonic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 pm

geeves wrote:Talk to Daisy. Hes in the trade and has seen first hand what happens when a hook mount fails. He should be able to do something solid

As far as i know Daisy is in the same boat as me, he has the rear one sus'ed but nothing for the front...
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Ill have a look at a few at some stage and try and get some pics of ones that work. The mu is just different enough to mean my settup doesnt help
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby daisy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Demonic wrote:
geeves wrote:Talk to Daisy. Hes in the trade and has seen first hand what happens when a hook mount fails. He should be able to do something solid

As far as i know Daisy is in the same boat as me, he has the rear one sus'ed but nothing for the front...

In the process of mounting tjm bar and boxing up the front chassis rail and body mount area to mount hook where standard bumper brackets are but it has to be strengthened will post photos when i pull finger
you could bolt it up under the chassis rails with crush tubes, rated bolts, plates top and bottom go right to the end of the rail and a little further back and bolt the plates through the chassis again with a crush tube blah blah blah :D i had one under there with a standard height Mu and bent a hook and it seem to smash every rock it could find :lol: with a lift it could be ok
Demonic - CCVC has some good hook mounting ideas if you haven't already seen and they're local to you
daisy
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Postby mudslinger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:39 pm

i to am in the same boat. need to mount my hook so i can get dirty again its ben awhile. its the only thing stopping me really. ideas people wer the pics at??????
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 91 mu 2.8TD manual

Postby Demonic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:05 pm

I am still working on it, i have an idea similar to a mount I made for a mates Zuk, and another one involving crush tubes.... shes not an easy task tho eh!
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby mudslinger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:16 pm

yea it not the easiest lol

i did have a idea on how to do it tho. something me and my mate concocted up
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

Postby supamu » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:29 am

When we originally fitted a ARB bullbar a hard pull/winch would push the bar down, so the side bits would push up into the guards and scrath them. Hasn't been a problem since we fit sidebars, but might be worth considering. Some extra support wouldn't go amiss.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

City: Manawatu
Vehicle: Isuzu MU with a few mods ;-)

Postby mulover » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:05 am

Most ARB bars have slotted holes and are known for moving. The best way to fit them is to get a piece of 5 or 6mm plate and make like a 50mm square washer that is a tight fit around the bolt. Once you have the bar exactly where you want it, weld the washer to the bar.
mulover
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:36 pm

ARB bar specs say no snatching! Probably only for "dont blame us " purposes but possibly because they can verify the fitting.
I kike your idea though It might strengthen things enough
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:42 pm

You are probabably right there gevees, I've seen quite a few snatches off ARB bars and no problems, just don't use the holes that are on top of the bar for hooks, cause the plate is only about 3mm thick!!
My mate had alot of trouble with his ARB bar moving, since he did the washers its never moved since.
mulover
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Easy way round the 3mm plate. Make 2 round or square 5mm plates 120mm across. drill for the 2 hook holes plus 2 others beside the hook which just clamp the 2 plates together so you have the 2 hook bolts plus 2 others through the bar. Spreads the load.
Top plate will need to be finished so no sharp edges
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudslinger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:00 pm

finally got my front hook on....well jus gotta get the bolts to mount it all my drilling and everything else sorted
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:44 pm

There are a few people that want pictures please
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Yeah please, ill give you full credit :)
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby mudslinger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:10 pm

gettig pic's is no the prob posting em up is. still havent got my bolts to mount it and still waiting on my crush tubes but once i have everything i need i shall bust out my camera and take lots of pic's for ya's
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

Next

Return to Special Mods