• Advertisement

How good is your MU protecting you

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

How good is your MU protecting you

Postby daone » Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 am

Hi all

Me again, just considering the safety ratting of the 91 4JB1TMU, if the vhicle roll over is the driver compartment gona be safe enough for you or you need to put reinforce bars or cage init to support the compartment ? Thanks
daone
Isuzu Junior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 4JB1T MANUAL MU

Re: How good is your MU protecting you

Postby muzila » Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am

Like all heavy vehicles the roof isnt going to hold up to a couple of tons of 4x4 sitting on it.
If you are 4x4ing hardout you might want to consider either an internal rollbar (not sure how legal these are) or go for an exocage. If you using it mainly for road and some offroad it should be ok.

I have seen rolled MU's in the past, some where flatter then pancakes others where just scratched up.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby daone » Wed May 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Cheers Muzila
daone
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Easy answer is dont drive in such a way that a roll over is a possible outcome. Dont we wish life was that easy.
Quite stiff rules about roll cages. Essentially in a Mu in NZ it cant be done without loosing the back seat. Have a talk to your local LVVTA certifier before going down this track. Not sure if it needs cert but the advice is free.
Another trick that gives around half the extra protection of a roll bar and no cert issues is a cargo barrier. One of our members was meant to be putting together a deal on this (hint)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby daone » Wed May 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Ture Alan, haha thanks. I think I am just thinking too much. I should just take it easy.
daone
Isuzu Junior

Postby daone » Wed May 12, 2010 7:29 pm

.jpg

Seems like the MU is quit stiff, A friend of main just showed me his MU rolled 2 turns. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daone
Isuzu Junior

Postby muzila » Wed May 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Thats nasty. I hope no one was hurt!

There is a bit of bracing in that bit behind the doors and across the roof, but its nothing like a rollbar.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Wed May 12, 2010 9:06 pm

there is going to be a few hours overtime in that one at the panel shop
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby daone » Thu May 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Ture haha
daone
Isuzu Junior

Postby Demonic » Thu May 13, 2010 6:14 pm

geeves wrote:Easy answer is dont drive in such a way that a roll over is a possible outcome. Dont we wish life was that easy.
Quite stiff rules about roll cages. Essentially in a Mu in NZ it cant be done without loosing the back seat. Have a talk to your local LVVTA certifier before going down this track. Not sure if it needs cert but the advice is free.
Another trick that gives around half the extra protection of a roll bar and no cert issues is a cargo barrier. One of our members was meant to be putting together a deal on this (hint)

One would assume your talking bout me?

We currently only have a Frontera barrier (Have multiple ones for Bighorns) which im told is different to the MU, HOWEVER, Last year I did a development for a Mu using a Ford Explorer barrier, this was sent to the customer and never got anything back saying it didnt fit. I have one of these barriers for my Mu that im yet to install.

Please excuse the "advert" but if anyone wants more info about Cargo Barriers please feel free to PM me, or visit http://www.mofac.co.nz .

Most of our barriers are rated for a single mass hit of 60kg, and any barrier with this rating has been tested in a frame. Our barriers are on the pricey side but the mounting hardware we use is 3x better then the rubbish coming out of China. I have 2 damaged barriers at my work (actual barriers). One from a vehicle that was in a multiple rollover and it was the ONLY thing that held the roof up, the other barrier is proof that a steel toolbox that could taken the drivers head of was stoped by the barrier (he was in a jimny that was shunted from behind by a train while repairing tracks)

Once again, http://www.mofac.co.nz or PM me and ill get the info you require.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby dasnoboarder » Thu May 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Could you post up a pic of the proposed barrier for the MU? I'm sure a few of us would be interested.

Cheers,
Andy
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby geeves » Thu May 13, 2010 7:37 pm

I recon the frontera one would fit behind the rear seat of a mu but have no measurements to back this up.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Thu May 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Yeah, fits behind drivers seat, the frontera one will fit, but i found the explorer one fitted in a slightly different place, so im going with that, beside my mounts will all be custom as i intend on making it 'almost' like a rollcage.

This is the Milford Industries designed Frontera barrier, And is rated for a Single Mass Hit of 60kgs

We make these in NZ under licence and every barrier listed on the Milford website (http://www.milfordind.com.au/index.php/selectedContent/301266517?currentDriven=1272163138&currentContent=1537623979&PHPSESSID=0e96fd3dbcf6f729e42898a331e8106f) can be made in NZ, Mofac also have a few that we (I) have designed that aussies dont have ie the new Toyota corolla, Lancer and Hyundai Tucson etc.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby Isuzumu1 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:52 am

Checking out that rolled MU, the B pillar with so much more metal than a normal vehicle I would think that a barrier would not be of any more benefit. I hate it when I have to look out the passenger side, but after looking at that photo I now don't mind at all :D

Cheers Bruce
Cheers Anne
Isuzumu1
Isuzu Junior

City: Nanango
Vehicle: Isuzu MU Wizard

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri May 14, 2010 7:00 am

So Demonics barrier would only be able to be used if the MU's rear seats are gone?

I have to keep mine for now...
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby Demonic » Fri May 14, 2010 7:57 am

The reason the seats will need to be removed is because if you had a barrier behind the driver the rear passengers will be unable to get in, if the did get in via the tail gate they would end up being a prisioner in the vehicle and no way to get out in the event of an accident.

We can make a barrier fit behind the rear seats if required. Theres not alot we cant do and we can modify to fit.
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby Captcol » Fri May 14, 2010 11:17 am

Another thing to add to list of things to do to the wizard once i have money again ...
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby daone » Fri May 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Isuzumu1 right it looks stiff enough. I agree haha.
daone
Isuzu Junior

Postby 4x4fun » Wed May 26, 2010 10:06 am

What about an external roll cage that goes around and over the outside of your roof. Would it need a cert?
4x4fun
Isuzu Baby

City: Hastings
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 1992 2.8l auto

Postby geeves » Wed May 26, 2010 3:22 pm

It falls under external projection so yes.
You can do an internal roll cage which also needs cert and there is no way to do this and keep the back seat
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Next

Return to Special Mods